Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I need to open my own rescue?

Thanks

Default Do I need to open my own rescue?

Wow...I hate my job...as soon as I can get on to something else I'm getting out of there and I'll have to report the store. I'm the only reason those animals stay alive...
    As many of you may already know:
    I work at an exotics pet store, sadly. I say that because my boss is an idiot, along with my coworkers (all two of them...) and I'm the only one who does ANYTHING and I can only work a few hours a day (school). After not supplying enough cages for everyone, two baby bearded dragons had to be kept together in a ten gallon tank. I haven't been to work since Friday, and came in today (at 4 pm) to find one of the bearded dragons looking sickly in the corner of it's cage. I picked him up to see his back right foot black and stuck to his tail, and his front left foot swollen and he wouldn't move it. I rushed to show my boss, and his friend suggested to wrap a rubber band around it and it would eventually fall off...WHAT?!? I soak him, get his foot un-stuck from his tail, and put some neosporen on it. I then cleaned out a tank just for him to sit in. At the end of the day I take the little guy back over to my boss to show him how his foot is still bleeding and tell him that he is going to have to go to a vet. He refused, stating he couldn't afford it and that he would save more if he would just "put him down". So...I had to step up and say let ME take him home and I'LL take him to the vet. Grr! I'll get pics asap.

Most know this isn't my first animal brought home. I've brought home a baby nile monitor who was having seizors, and is now doing a ton better. I still have a baby tegu from there that I'll probably end up buying. I've taken home several baby iguanas...those are a pain. Now this little guy. I almost quit today but I have no other job to go to and wouldn't be able to feed MY animals...not to mention take this little guy to the vet. GGRRR

Thanks

Pics:
    Spunk, because he still has so much 'spunk'...lol

You can see his back right leg in this one...and his pretty colors

Close-up of back foot

Front left foot is swollen and he doesn't use it...

Thanks

I understand what you mean. I have been working at a pet store for 6 years, was doing it full time till I got pissed off at my new manager, quit on him and went to a different store that had my old manager, I now work pt there.

My old store, the birds are now always filthy and fed a seed diet with no fruits and veggies, they get no new toys, stuck with ratty old toys as they never change them out, beardies are housed on calcisand, baby cresties on wood chips, iguanas on wood chips(which is real nice as they almost always come in with mites so they get a nice infestation going).BRackish water fish not labeled and getting confusd for fresh.

My new store, all lg parrots were on seed and no fruits and veggies and again crappy toys, again reptiles housed compleatly wrong, Rabbits and guineas were fed alfa based pellet with corn and sunflower weeds in them and no hay.

Now the birds are on nutriberries/avicakes and have fresh food daily, and they get new toys once a week. The reptiles....lmao you should see me, once a month I go through when we get a new order and change everything someone else has done to the new animals as their setups are not to my standards. Rabbits and guineas are on a timmy based food and are given hay daily. And since I switched, my district manager said that since there are now 3 people who know saltwater, we can bring in another fish unit for saltwater...hurray! And since I have been there, I have talked the manager into getting discus, so we have a discus tank which has been going well, they are selling alot more than they first thought they would sell.

And yanno what, I only work 2 days a week there, friday and saturdays. I have alot of customers that only come in those days as they know I do not give bs information, if I cant answer it, I give them the number to the person who can (a vets office I work for, our reptile vet used to the the Toledo Zoo vet). So its good to have a back up
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

That's great! I've been working my butt off at this place to try and clean it up. They just won't supply the needed things...it's sad.

Thanks

That poor beardie! Thank you for taking him home! It's a terrible thing that these poor animals go through at some of these pet stores. I've been thinking about getting a part time job at a pet store just to learn more about the business, but this kind of stuff sure makes me think twice!
    Chris
    Beantown Reptiles
    email: beantownreptiles@me.com
    web: http://www.beantownreptiles.com

Thanks

If he keeps doing that I'd report his store. o.O They aren't just products ya know. That pisses me off.

Thanks

Oh, I will be. Just need another job first. I work to feed and such the animals, plus I need money to take this little guy to the vet.
    The pet store business can be just awful. I thought this guy knew his stuff...then realized him and his friends went out a few years ago and got into reptiles and they are still following what was ok way back then, not the updated information. And they are just products to him *sad* but I'm hoping it won't be long and I can get him out of business.

Thanks

well the nice thing about or store is that if the animal is sick we do take them to the store, this includes down to the hamsters. Its jut a shame alot of our stores (yes we are a chain store, Pet Supplies Plus) dont see the signs of illness till its too late with many of the animals, only the large birds as they are easy to see. I know one weekend I got a frantic call, a beardie got its foot eaten off. Needless to say on monday I had a new pet bearded dragon, he now lives with another family as I rehomed him last year. Also got a senegal chameleon as the reptile supplier we got him from sent him with a nasty parasitic worm that would travel from one side of his body to the other, you ould physically see it move under his skin...gross....had it removed and he lived another full year (they have short livespans) and lived happily with me. He was also my first chameleon I owned. And then there is the added bonus, I work for the vets also, I get free vet care, which is great as one of my birds is a special needs bird, and goes to the vet every couple of months
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI

Thanks

Wow...free vet care. That would be amazing! lol

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ReptileChick View Post
    Oh, I will be. Just need another job first. I work to feed and such the animals, plus I need money to take this little guy to the vet.
    The pet store business can be just awful. I thought this guy knew his stuff...then realized him and his friends went out a few years ago and got into reptiles and they are still following what was ok way back then, not the updated information. And they are just products to him *sad* but I'm hoping it won't be long and I can get him out of business.
    I'm telling you, see the guy who owns ours takes care of his animals. He has a lot of vet knowledge himself. And this other doofus wants to buy my cresties from me when they hatch for his pet store... right... anyways! He doesn't know the first thing about reptile care and he has a bunch of reptiles.