Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 50 gallon vivarium

Thanks

Default 50 gallon vivarium

I have this really nice 50 gallon vivarium that is currently housing a crested gecko and a Millipede. The temperature goes from about 70-84 F from day to night and I've been keeping the humidity at about 70%. There is a problem though, i'm getting a bit tired and bored of the gecko and misting it so much. I would instead like to make a sort of mixture of different herbivorious insects or something...some snails, millipedes, beetles, etc... I want to get something communal going and I know how dangerous and tricky that can be, but the vivarium is huge with lots of space and hides. I want to ask if anyone has any suggestions for what I may be able to house in this tank, maybe others here have been thinking and researching on doing something similar.

Thank you for the advice,
    Hassan

Thanks

Interesting project. You do you want to do native stuff? If so, you should just grab a bucket and fill it with leaf litter and a few inches of soil from some local woods. You're bound to get all sorts of things from millipedes, centipedes, worms,slugs, snails, isopods, beetles, nematodes, amphipods to who knows what. You could then veggie scraps into it to feed these various creatures. It'd be good to document what survives, thrives or dies.
    That's what I'd do.

Thanks

Sick of the crested gecko! HMMM. Could do a praying mantis but then there goes putting anything else in there.
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

Yeah, I wouldn't like to put anything native in there. I'm getting ready to go to this reptile show in Raleigh, NC and they will have a lot of exotic inverts and stuff, so i'm kind of preparing my list for that

Thanks

Most of the exotics are not going to get along. You could set it up as a dart frog tank or something?
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

To be honest, 50 gallons isnt that big if your going to be doing a mixed viv depending on what you put in. I think the Rhac book suggests a Pink tongue skink, if I remember correctly. For some reason it sounds funny to me...

JT had a cool idea with setting up a sweet dart frog viv. Those are cool and eye catching. Good luck with whatever you choose to do...
    --Brian--

Thanks

If you want to do "bugs", you could do some of the communal type Tarantulas.. Poecilitheria spp. or P. murinus (OBTs) or H. incei (I believe.. but not certain). There are actually a few others, but I can't recall now.

Of course, with T's ..you wouldn't be able to house anything else in the viv... unless you don't mind them becoming "prey". I wanted to do the OBTs at one point and time, but never got around to it. It wasn't that difficult, though... and they are a beautiful "orange" color, so would be a nice display ...and there's nothing boring about them!
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

You could get away with placing darts in with certain Mantid species.
    There is a very open range of possibilities with a ALL INVERT set up!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AneesasMuse View Post
    ". I wanted to do the OBTs at one point and time, but never got around to it. It wasn't that difficult, though... and they are a beautiful "orange" color, so would be a nice display ...and there's nothing boring about them!

Pterinochylus are very agressive, and they are very quick. You won't be able to handle them. Also their venum is human affective.

Plus they are a semi arboreal semi terrestrial specie But I alwais find them hidden. I saw mine a very few times.

I didn't have a good experience with that particular specie
    Good luck
    0.3.0-Gekko Gecko
    ?.?.? (+/-20)-Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0.0-Stenodactylus stenodactylus
    0.1.0-Pandinus imperator
    1.0.0-Grammostola rosea
    1.1.0-Felis domestica(rex devon)
    1.1.2-Meriones unguiculatus(gerbils)
    not a zoo yet but still...

Thanks

I personally think I would do a various species of fiddler crabs, this way you will get to see your animals, but also have the chance to keep some brackish water fish species (like bumble bee gobies).

I think the advice of a native tank is good also, you have a better chance of the inverts getting along as they are used to the interaction than forcing species who usually do not come into contact to live together. And many exotic millepede species are rather hard to care for for long periods of time.
    lets just say I have a lot of stuff
    www.sublimereptiles.com
    Facebook
    BOI