Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Chahoua losing weight

Thanks

Default Question about Chahoua losing weight

I weighed my Sticky last night, and he wouldn't sit still long enough for a really good reading... but it did appear that the scale was showing that he had lost a little bit of weight.
    When I brought him home, he weighed in at 56 grams. Last night it looked like he weighed about 50 grams!!! Now, I couldn't get him to sit still on it, and I couldn't get his tail fully on there without him moving off completely!

But... if he's lost a little bit of weight, how do I get it back on him?
    He did just shed a few days ago. Does this affect weight loss?

The only thing that is different with his diet is that he's not being fed crickets. I HATE insects and I had "issues" with trying to feed him crickets the first week I had him. (I've had him for 2 weeks).
    So he's eating CGD every night. He eats a LOT of it each night too! He always cleans his dish!

So, I'll get him a few crickets tomorrow from the pet store and see if that helps. I just HATE those things though!!!

But any advice and info would really make me feel better please!
    Thanks!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie
    1.2 Pine Isle Chahouas Shrek Sugar & Spice
    1.2 Cresteds MrGoodbar Lollipop TootsieRoll
    1.0 Gargoyle Wyvern (Living the life at Lunars house with a girl!)

Thanks

Jenn,

If he's eating CGD nightly and cleaning his dish, I wouldn't worry about it. You could, on the other hand, give him more CGD each night until he can't eat it all. If he's cleaning his dish he may want more...

Crickets are high in fat, so losing some weight after losing the crickets isn't too surprising. He may end up leaner but healthier in the long run.

--John
    3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
    1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Thanks

Thank you John!
    That makes me feel sooooo much better!

So, crickets are high in fat? I didn't know that! Since he's off crickets for 2 weeks now, that would make sense with the weight loss.

Another question:
    Should I bring back crickets to his diet?

He's eating the CGD every night, and is pooping just fine. He eats the 2 part diet and eats the Strawberry flavor.
    I'm also giving him a little bit of strawberry yogurt on my finger every other night. He seems to like it!!
    He drinks water droplets after each time I mist his home every single night.

So, I'm guessing he's still pretty healthy. Which is why I wasn't understanding the weight loss. (Now I understand, thank you John!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

I would suggest feeding a heavier amount of crickets than you would do for a crestie. Being as you dont have one...I would say 3 or 4x a week would suffice.
    --Brian--

Thanks

If you are really worried, or get really worried you can bring a fecal sample in to a reliable herp vet to see if he has parasites. . . I was gonna also suggest feeding til he can't clean his plate too, but someone beat me to it!
    Good luck with him, I'm sure he's OK.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

Jenn,

I'd limit crickets to once a week and make sure they're dusted with vitamins (or CGD).

--John
    3.8.4 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    3.8.1 Rhacodactylus chahoua 'Pine Isle'
    1 Big Dumb Yellow Lab

Jasper Sailfin Geckos on facebook

Thanks

Thank you Saille and John!

Last night I did what you both said to do... give him more CGD. He didn't eat it all, but a lot of it. So maybe I just wasn't feeding him enough of it.

I'll do the crickets once a week. I just HATE those things!! I'm not a fan of insects! But I'm not going to put the crickets in his main home. I'll put the cricket in his travel/temp home that I made him. That way I don't have those nasty things running around his home and jumping out when I take Sticky out.

I do have the calcium vitamin powder to dust the crickets with. So I'll just do the shake thing with them in the bag. :-?

I'll get him crickets tomorrow (Monday) when I run errands. Would just 2 or 3 be enough?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

I loathe crickets too. . . nasty smelly things that can carry parasites. . .
    I know this is a major gross out factor but have you considered roaches for your lizards? They have better meat-to-shell ratio, are cleaner, quieter, and not as "houdini" like as crickets. That, and they don't stink or bite and chew on your herps!!

I love the B.Dubias because they don't climb or fly, they're sort of slow, and they're soft! I actually think they're cute now!
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I actually really freak out over ants and roaches. Those are the two worst insects to me! YIKES!

BUT.... hmmm... if they don't jump, don't climb, and won't bite my Sticky... it's something that I might have to consider!

OR I'll just stick with CGD. Hehe!
    I'll see if he starts eating more with me giving him more. He ATE a ton last night, so that was great! I'll weigh him twice a week and see how he's doing on a weight. He was 56 grams... he's down to 50 now in the 2 weeks that I've had him.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~ JENN ~
    1 Daughter ~
    1 Chihuahua Cookie

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jennsen View Post
    Thank you John!
    That makes me feel sooooo much better!

So, crickets are high in fat? I didn't know that! Since he's off crickets for 2 weeks now, that would make sense with the weight loss.

Another question:
    Should I bring back crickets to his diet?

He's eating the CGD every night, and is pooping just fine. He eats the 2 part diet and eats the Strawberry flavor.
    I'm also giving him a little bit of strawberry yogurt on my finger every other night. He seems to like it!!
    He drinks water droplets after each time I mist his home every single night.

So, I'm guessing he's still pretty healthy. Which is why I wasn't understanding the weight loss. (Now I understand, thank you John!)

Crickets are not high in fat at all. They are 70% water ... I cant remember the rest of the breakdown but its something like 5% "fat". Personally I alternate between insect and mrp with the chahoua's. They LOVE insects so why not give them the insects. Feeding schedule for me (MRP) - Crickets - (MRP) - Dubia Roaches - (MRP) ect ect. My two chahoua's will eat anything that moves and Ive done a lot of variety for them. Moths, Wax worms (Do not feed in excess, they are pure fat), crickets, roaches, freshly molted mealworms, and pheonix worms. Personally I would never take insects out of chahoua's diet because they are so crazy for them.
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile