Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Leachie Tail Kinks

Thanks

Default Leachie Tail Kinks

I have kept cresteds and chahouas for quite some time now, and i recently decided to get a leachie. When first getting this leachie, it was not eating well and had some kinks in its tail. I then agreed with the seller to take it back to the breeder to get its weight up. Now 2 months later, it has grown and put on quite some weight but the tail still has kinks (Weighs about 12g at 3-4 months old)

I did a little research and discovered that at a young age some leachies have this kinked tail. My question is, at what age or weight do they grow out of this and at this age should i be concerned. Any Help is greatly appreciated.

Also a chahoua question...My female chahoua is about 15 months, healthy and has always been good with handleing ...until... Just tonight i tried to pick her up and she's bitting and making noises. She is all alone with no male and has never been bred or attempted to be bred...I cant she why see would act this way. Has anyone ever experienced this???

Thanks

Jake says:

Don't leave it up to age to determine. About that size, my male Leachie had a small kink develop as well. I increased the amount of calcium I added to his Leachie Diet (I still have some...) until about a month later, the kink went away. Thats my experience with it.

Leachies seem to be tough when it comes to eating too...mine hardly eats unless I hand feed him by holding him in one hand and the bowl in the other, then he eats like a pig! I don't mind so much, mainly since he is already one of the tamest Leachies I have ever seen. A bit of handling with food offered can't hurt for that!
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Thanks Jake, Mine is also difficult with eating, I have had this leachie back from the breeder for 3 days now and its yet to eat baby food mixed with crested diet or crickets. The local herp dealer told me that he couldnt get the T-Rex diet and the breeder wouldnt give me any...so I have been trying with Crested one instead. How have you done using T-Rex's leachie diet?

Thanks

Dont worry about Kinked tail. It will go away with time. It is really perfectly normal with younger leachies. Almost EVERY one of mine had it and they have all gone away. Dont know why it happens but it just does with younger leachies. If you want me to I can post pictures of before and now of kinked and no kinks. If I recall right mine lost it at around 20 grams. Also on the feeding. How high do you keep the humidity? Leachies seriously eat like 2X as much in high humidity. All of mine are in tubs with holes cut in the top and they eat VERY good. They grow 2X as fast in tubs because of the humidity. Not telling you what to do but just me .2

EDIT: About the chahoua, my female is like that when she wants to be left alone. Just leave her along when shes like that unless needed. Sometimes they just dont want to be messed with
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

Jake Says:

My Leachie won't even -touch- CDG! They better not decide to discontinue the Leachie Diet like they did the Gargoyle Diet or I might have a tough time feeding him. He also just recently (He's 35g and 4.5 SVL right now) started getting the occasional butchered and warmed Frozen Pinky mouse as well, which is a good source of the occasional protein and calcium boost. He eats those very readily.
    He typically only eats about once every 2-3 days, but when he does he cleans out about 1-1.5 tablespoon of the diet. I make it like sludge too. He won't take it if its too watery. He also won't eat it if it is anything but fresh! After a few hours in the tank he won't touch it. I also have to make it in small quantities prepared, because he won't eat it after about 5-6 days in the fridge.

Try different consistencies, it might be a matter of personal preference for your leachie. As opposed to baby food, you could also just puree some fruit in a blender and add some calcium or herptivite. Dante (my Leachie) ate about 3 tablespoons of puree strawberry at one sitting when I did that. Just as a treat, mind you, not as everyday fare.
    See if you can't find a breeder around somewhere near you that you can pick up or order it from, my success has been very good with it.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunargecko View Post
    Jake Says:

My Leachie won't even -touch- CDG! They better not decide to discontinue the Leachie Diet like they did the Gargoyle Diet or I might have a tough time feeding him. He also just recently (He's 35g and 4.5 SVL right now) started getting the occasional butchered and warmed Frozen Pinky mouse as well, which is a good source of the occasional protein and calcium boost. He eats those very readily.
    He typically only eats about once every 2-3 days, but when he does he cleans out about 1-1.5 tablespoon of the diet. I make it like sludge too. He won't take it if its too watery. He also won't eat it if it is anything but fresh! After a few hours in the tank he won't touch it. I also have to make it in small quantities prepared, because he won't eat it after about 5-6 days in the fridge.

Try different consistencies, it might be a matter of personal preference for your leachie. As opposed to baby food, you could also just puree some fruit in a blender and add some calcium or herptivite. Dante (my Leachie) ate about 3 tablespoons of puree strawberry at one sitting when I did that. Just as a treat, mind you, not as everyday fare.
    See if you can't find a breeder around somewhere near you that you can pick up or order it from, my success has been very good with it.
    Ive talked to a Allen, they are not discontining the LGD. I also feed a mixture thats a bit sweeter to all the leachies and chahoua's. If you want the mixture please PM me
    -Justin-

Thanks

Thanks for all the help...I'm going to try as many different food options as possible...i really want this leachie to eat what it likes and alot of it.

Thanks

It's common for hatchlings to have a kinked tail. It is a sign of low calcium however and should not be ignored. I have my Yate on CGD and it worked great for him. If you want to make sure he eats then do the hand feeding as described earlier. The hatchling should gorge himself after getting a taste. Remember its not how much they eat but the quality of the food. A ton of baby food with inconsistent calcium levels does no good but a balanced diet with a good amount eaten is ideal. It's just like us... I could eat fast food every day but if I did then I would have a number of health problems. If I eat a balanced diet I look and feel healthy.
    It's a popcorn season!

Thanks

Also try to place the food right below where the leachie is all the time. They cannot avoid their food this way ... they will smell it and go to town on it!
    -Justin-

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jtmoney View Post
    Also try to place the food right below where the leachie is all the time. They cannot avoid their food this way ... they will smell it and go to town on it!
    Good call JT. I should also go into some more detail on the hand feeding. You should only do this to get the animal accustomed to the food. You do not want to create a dependence where the animal has to come out of the cage and into your hand to eat. I haven't heard of this problem with Rhacs as much as I have with other species but with an upwards of 30+ geckos I want to make sure everyone can survive on their own and don't need me to hold their gecko paw to eat.
    It's a popcorn season!