Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: Really really really worried about a pair of cresties...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default Really really really worried about a pair of cresties...

    Basically last year they were perfect weight, put them togther, she laid some eggs, but he started to loose weight, so spilt them up, left them for a week of so to get settled in a new home...
    both are quiet shy geckos so i onyl see them once a week for a weigh in.. (properly see them..)
    and way...

    now both are horrifically horrifically thin..

    she was 36 and now is 22 (tailess)

    he was 34 and now 23

    she is awful...

    i can see her whole spine now, all of it. and her hips... its really bad really reall bad.

    he still eating, not much as always, and will hand feed, she wont even hand feed, she will just whipe it off...

    im realy worried, whats the next step?

    p.s ever since we have had the male we have noticted he look a lil odd, coudlnt ever figure out why.. now that he is gettign thinner and thinner, we have noticted a huge bend in his spine, which i guess was MBD at a earlier stage?...
    Mod edited

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Carnation, WA
    Posts
    6,975
    Thanks
    75
    Thanked 49 Times in 32 Posts

    Default

    Yikes, sounds like you need to take these both to the vet and try and get a fecal done on them.

    Are they still seperated? Have they been put back together since? I would keep them both quarantined alone to better monitor them.

    What kinds of geckos are they?
    Wild caught or captive bred?
    Had they been checked out at the vet prior to breeding them?
    If so, are they parasite-free? If not, thats my reasoning for getting the fecals done ASAP!!
    Had you been trying to feed extra when she started laying her eggs?
    What are their temps/husbandry?

    Good luck, I hope they're going to be alright! Can you post before and after pics by chance?
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Get them to a vet ASAP. In the interim, get some Hydro-Life down them; I've saved more than one reptile with this stuff. Most local pet stores sell it (never seen it at Petco or PetSmart).

    I have several gex who came to me with MBD or FTS and even though they still look 'funny', are now otherwise the picture of health with a diet of MRP.

    Best of luck and let us know what the vet says.
    Lydia
    Kept by a veritable plethora of rhacs and other critters
    www.sandiacresteds.com

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    thank you , i have had them for nearly a year now, and been fine..... so i wasnt thinking anythign ... on the lines of worms etc etc... hmmm
    Mod edited

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saille View Post
    Yikes, sounds like you need to take these both to the vet and try and get a fecal done on them.

    Are they still seperated? Have they been put back together since? I would keep them both quarantined alone to better monitor them.

    What kinds of geckos are they?
    Wild caught or captive bred?
    Had they been checked out at the vet prior to breeding them?
    If so, are they parasite-free? If not, thats my reasoning for getting the fecals done ASAP!!
    Had you been trying to feed extra when she started laying her eggs?
    What are their temps/husbandry?

    Good luck, I hope they're going to be alright! Can you post before and after pics by chance?

    they are crested geckos
    CB
    i hadnt taken them to a vet , but had them for nearly a year before breeeding
    there was more food in there for breeeding etc etc...



    p.s if i did have a fecal done, but they arent eating.. how do i go about that? can take them to the vets tommorrow if need be.
    Mod edited

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    385
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    So far as the fecal, the vet will take it, I think, if there aren't any fresh 'presents' in the cage. The mod for the Health fourm here is a DVM- PM Jen and ask- she'll know!
    Lydia
    Kept by a veritable plethora of rhacs and other critters
    www.sandiacresteds.com

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dragonsdesyre View Post
    So far as the fecal, the vet will take it, I think, if there aren't any fresh 'presents' in the cage. The mod for the Health fourm here is a DVM- PM Jen and ask- she'll know!
    thank you
    Mod edited

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Another pair of ours stopped eating and behaved ... ''oddly'' once spilt up, as though they had formed a bond with each other...

    last night we / it was suggest to us..

    to put both of the cresties in a container...

    (different ones)

    with food , CGD, bannana, and live food, just to see if they would eat...

    and they both did!!! the female ate LOADS!

    now we put both of them, in two diffferent containers, back in to thier originaol viv... which they lived together in....

    they could see each other, but could also hide from one another...

    we are thinking of doing this again...

    but we also thought maybe it was a space issue... 2 of them were in a 2x1.5x1.5 viv.... but both ate when in a smaller not even 1x1x1 ....

    was it space issue, putting them back togther.... or being in the old viv togther... who knows... all i know is that she and he have perked up, and ate. ate a hell of a lot, for them..

    we will be tryign this again tonight, and see what happens....

    then maybe, oncethe weght is a little betterm putting them back togther.


    they were both extrememly shy geckos, and dint liek to be handled beforei put them togther.. i neever even saw them...

    but once i put them togther i saw them everyday, at the front of the viv... maybe they heldped eachtoher out..... who knows... im going on now.. lol

    thank you for reading.

    Gina
    Mod edited

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Manchester By The Sea, MA
    Posts
    1,722
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Just a thought, but do you feed them banana on a regular basis? I know with larger reptiles like tegus and skinks that it is recommended to only offer banana here and there as a treat because the high levels of potassium makes it difficult for calcium to be absorbed normally into their system.

    I would definitely have fecals run on these animals to rule out any parasites like Entamoeba Invadens (which is deadly if left untreated but is easily remedied with the right medications) or Cryptosporidium (which is ultimately uncurable in reptiles and can put your entire collection at risk if found). Both these diseases will cause the animals to waste and take on a skinny appearance however there are many other maladies as well that will project similar symptoms, so running a fecal test would be wise in this situation.

    I notice that you have a lot of animals in your collection, some of which may be wild caught. Are/have these animals being/been quarantined far away from the rest of your collection to ensure that any harmful pathogens that they may or may not be carrying are not being transferred? I mean no insult, but it could help to know how your collection is setup to rule out any speculations to why your geckos are loosing weight. I wish you luck!
    Last edited by CrestedLove27; 03-19-2008 at 11:37 AM.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    513
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    thank you!! (and i dont think you are ''insulting me''')

    only 4 are WC, all rescues, all quarenteeened.. these 2 are teh ones i have had teh longest which is odd, but from last niht things are looking up

    some have bannana a tiny bit.... a quarter between all of the 30 or so who eat CGD... and most were fed babyfood, and turnign them on to CGD didnt work for all.. if you get me... helps a little to add a tinnnnny amount of bannaa.

    from last night, actaully seeing them. eat.. its a start. maybe they just needed to be togtehr again? beacue its teh first time in a long time. thank you for your help. ill tlk to my OH about feacls though

    Gina

    thank y
    Quote Originally Posted by CrestedLove27 View Post
    Just a thought, but do you feed them banana on a regular basis? I know with larger reptiles like tegus and skinks that it is recommended to only offer banana here and there as a treat because the high levels of potassium makes it difficult for calcium to be absorbed normally into their system.

    I would definitely have fecals run on these animals to rule out any parasites like Entamoeba Invadens (which is deadly if left untreated but is easily remedied with the right medications) or Cryptosporidium (which is ultimately uncurable in reptiles and can put your entire collection at risk if found). Both these diseases will cause the animals to waste and take on a skinny appearance however there are many other maladies as well that will project similar symptoms, so running a fecal test would be wise in this situation.

    I notice that you have a lot of animals in your collection, some of which may be wild caught. Are/have these animals being/been quarantined far away from the rest of your collection to ensure that any harmful pathogens that they may or may not be carrying are not being transferred? I mean no insult, but it could help to know how your collection is setup to rule out any speculations to why your geckos are loosing weight. I wish you luck!
    Mod edited

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •