Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Jeweled curly tail lizards"

Thanks

Default "Jeweled curly tail lizards"

Is anyone familiar with these guys?

From what I'm reading, they "tolerate" (yeah, but what do they prefer?) a wide range of habitats from sandy beaches to wooded areas. They like deep bedding to burrow in, and lots of things to climb on. Active species, needs heat and UV. Eat crickets, worms, etc...

Recommended 15 - 20g from what I'm reading.

What are the specifics though?

Thanks

I just turned this up in a quick search on google. Not much info, but its something.

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/r...s/lzd2669.html
    --Brian--

Thanks

If I remember they are generalists. Think those small spiny lizards you see on fences or rocks, but not necasarily confined to that specific habitat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geickoJR. View Post
    I just turned this up in a quick search on google. Not much info, but its something.

http://www.centralpets.com/animals/r...s/lzd2669.html
    Yeah - I got some basic info off a google search, but quite a bit of it was conflicting regarding proper habitat. Thank you for that link though (I actually saw that one last night, lol, it was one of the better care sheets I could find!)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    Yeah - I got some basic info off a google search, but quite a bit of it was conflicting regarding proper habitat. Thank you for that link though (I actually saw that one last night, lol, it was one of the better care sheets I could find!)
    Anytime. there wasnt much info on them off of google from what i could tell anyway. You know what would be really cool? If you honestly had the space, i would by a super long tank, make one end a beach complete with water, and slowly converting to a forest as you go to the other side, so s/he could pick where it wanted to hangout.
    --Brian--

Thanks

Most of the beach lizards don't live on empty beach, but on beach where plants and rocks can be found close to the shore. Living on pure sand makes it hard to run and hide . . .

That means your beach habitat could look like you average tank with plants and rocks. Just remember it's humid and warm on the islands they live.

I think Reptiles USA ran an article on these in the last 3 years.

Thanks

So would they like a sandy habitat, or dirt?

Maybe a mix of dirt and a nice fine sand?

Thanks

I'm just throwing this out.. but maybe set them up the same or similar as Hermit Crabs, especially like the C. perlatus and C. rugosus. My viv is like what you might find in tree'd area just next to a shoreline... sandy, loamy coco fiber with lots of plants and driftwood. My crabs utilize the entire set up, too.

It's just a thought, like I said... but it may work for these lizards ...minus the saltwater baths, seashells, etc.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Personally I'd probably keep them with dirt because I'm cheap, but a sand dirt mixture would do to. I'd also have climbing branches and rocks as well. If I remember I think you find these in clearings and open areas. Not quite sure if they are exclusive to those areas. That's how I set them up a lot time ago. Don't remember specifics on temps though. Just remember it was a pain to find females for me.

Thanks

I have seen them burrow, maybe that new clay substrate then a dirt sand mix. the definately like to climb as well so maybe do a twenty gallon long with a range from like 70% sand mixed with 30%dirt, then get to the opposite on the other side. with the dirt side having lots of climing area
    2.2.0 crested geckos

1.0.0 phelsuma quad. CB!