Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finicky Pacman

Thanks

Default Finicky Pacman

Elvis and I have descended into a feeding hell of sorts... he is the strangest Pacman I have ever encountered!! The guy will NOT eat unless I force it in his gullet... he won't take live, he won't eat an f/t on his own... he doesn't like goldfish or any kind of bugs...

....and he doesn't like me grabbing him and slipping my finger in the edge of his mouth, so I can get a warm f/t fuzzy in there either!!

"I DON'T LIKE YOU, WOMAN!!"

I actually have to sit with him and tap his nose and stand ready to catch the food... as he will do his best to pull it back out with his stubby little arms and feet
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

now im no pacman expert...(i killed mine the first night i got it ) but maybe hes sick or something? that doesnt sound very healthy to me >.> but i dont know much so dont listen to me
    No, im not trying to seduce you......
    Yes, thats a gecko in my hat.

Thanks

How often are you trying to feed him and what are his temps?
    Dale
    "The dead are likely dull fellows, full of tedious complaints - 'the ground's too cold, my gravestone should be larger, why does HE get more worms than I do...'".

Thanks

His temps are 85F on the warm end and 70-75F on the cooler end (room temp)... he has about 4" of Sphag over peat and coir (changed often), with a water area 4x his size (removable and cleaned often)... and I'm feeding him once a week.

Prior to adopting him, he wasn't kept on any heat source.. was only fed live "hoppers" and only about 2x a month, if that.

I've tried large roaches, superworms, giant mealies, crickets, goldfish, live and f/t hoppers and fuzzies. He won't take anything without serious coercion... me holding him in one hand, pushing the f/t in his mouth with the other.

He checked out fine when I first got him and he doesn't look underweight or stressed in anyway, now. I'm at a loss!
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Did he ever eat for you. I know some difficulty comes from some of them who want to eat what they eat in the wild. Herps . . .

Thanks

He does eat... but only because I allow him no choice in the matter. I open his mouth and stick in there.. hold his mouth closed or tap his nose when he tries to push or pull it out with his stumpy little arms and "hands".

If you have any suggestions on other food options that may be more appealing to him, I'm open for that... I'll do what I can to acquire whatever will make him eat better.

I'm just pissed at the stupid person that had him before... no heat, no regular feeding schedule and so on....... and this guy worked in a reptile shop! Not that that makes him "all knowing" ...but please! Don't take them home if you're not going to at least TRY to do what's best for them... simple basics, even.

Thanks

As far as I remember the genus typically are herp eaters. You might try scenting your rodents and seeing if that works. That's why some people couldn't get wc to eat. They'd hold out for other frogs.

If it's cb and was eating before you had it, it's probably critical you find out what it actually ate. It's probably wanting something that looks and smells similiar

Thanks

..which is why I'm confused... Elvis was getting pinks and progressed up to live hoppers, at his previous home. He's CB, too. I was told that he ate crickets, also

He ate one hopper for me, weeks ago. He skipped several meals and I decided to try large roaches, goldfish, crickets and so on... he won't eat any of them. And he refuses every hopper I offer, so I just went to f/t and started assist feeding him cuz he was looking really skinny..

...and Pacmans do not look right when not ROTUND!

Thanks

IME animals that are hand fed or force fed on a regular basis typically lose the prey drive to hunt on their own.

What happens if you simply withhold force feeding? Does he become emaciated, or are you giving in long before he begins to lose weight?

It's always possible there's just something not quite right with him. I knew someone for several yrs that was force feeding his snake every single week from babyhood. He had other snakes - they all ate just fine. Snake hardly ever grew, but did shed a couple times over the yrs indicating some growth. Care and habitat were fantastic. Multiple vet visits turned up nothing. I lost track of him after awhile, not sure of the fate of the snake. But by all accounts it was an otherwise healthy appearing and behaving animal. It just would-not-eat!

Thanks

I started the assist feeding after weeks of not eating... and looking really skinny, as in.. I could see and feel his entire skeletal structure

He wasn't the fattest guy when I first acquired him... he was only being fed randomly

I have him in a 5g tank.. enough substrate to cover himself as he likes (all I see are eyes)... heat on one end, large water dish on the other. He's in much better husbandry than where he came from ..or even where he was purchased from (I have done some contracts for that shop)... yet he is still a "weirdo".

Maybe he likes being mistreated better?