Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do crested geckos like to be held?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazycresteds View Post
    no reptile "likes" to be held. at all. period. the reason they don't want to go back in their viv is because your arm(and upper body) is higher than the viv. and them being arboreal want to go in high places. also, they'll sit on your hand for warmth. that's it. unlike mammals, their brains aren't evolved enough to want or need affection. they may know that you are associated to food and they might come up to you because they think you are going to feed them. they just tolerate it.
    I'm not certain if crested geckos "like" to be held, though some seem tend to tolerate being handled a lot more than other reptiles or other crested geckos for that matter. Especially males of this species, they seem more interactive and appear to have a bit more personality. But I would contest the claim that no reptile likes to be held. When you deal in absolutes, you most definitely will find exceptions.

For instance the Argentine Black and White Tegu is arguably the smartest reptile. They can be clicker trained like dogs, and behavioral experiments were done to see if they would choose the attention of a caretaker versus a source of food. In this particular experiment multiple tegus passed up the food to greet the caretaker and appeared to want attention and physical contact (being pet), then went back to eat food that was offered.

Male Chahouas have also displayed some characteristics that can be interpreted as affection toward their owners. I do not believe in anthropomorphism; but much like dogs, or at an even smaller capacity; the actions of caring for an animal and establishing trust repeatedly showing that it will not be hurt will have a positive impact on the relationship between man and beast. So with a degree of certainty I feel they can be fond of their caretakers, just like many other animals can.
    Jack Williford (Crested Gecko Lab)
    www.crestedgeckolab.com
    17.29.3 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus (Crested Gecko)
    1.0 Boa constrictor imperator (Red Tail Boa)
    0.1.1 Rhacodactylus Chahoua
    1.4.0 rhacodactylus auriculatus (Gargoyle Gecko)

Thanks

Really....how does anyone know whether they like to be held or not? I mean really? It is an assumption either way.
    Lisa

Thanks

You could say the same for a horses, if they like to be rode, or does a dog in fact like to be pet. These are also assumptions, but based on observations of action and behavior. That being said, you're right they are assumptions, opinions, and interpretations but the fact is, they do let you hold them
    www.crestedgeckolab.com

Thanks

I have 2 out of eleven that will fight me to the death (almost...LOL) to stay in my hands...and one in particular that would gladly be eaten alive before allowing me to hold him....I think it really is individual. My garg definitely wants to be held, for what reason, I will never know....but boy does she like to hang out on me!
    Lisa

Thanks

I have the same issues, there are a couple boys in my colony, no matter how much time I spend with them will not stop trying to get away. Then I have the few that if you fell asleep, they would still be on you. And in my opinion, I do think that I have a couple that like to be held.
    www.crestedgeckolab.com

Thanks

Just for fun...one day I will take a video of my lame attempt to hold my adult male...it is a nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He dives all over the place, even smashing head first into the wall, to get away from me....he spent his first year in a pet store and clearly was not accustomed to being held. I have pretty much given up and labeled him a 'show gecko'...LOL
    Lisa