Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do crested geckos like to be held?

Thanks

Default Do crested geckos like to be held?

I've been holding my gecko a couple times a day, and he seems to really enjoy it, he climbs all over my hands and arms and hops back and forth. Or sometimes he just sits on my hand.

Also, someone told me if geckos climb on carpet, they can loose a toe because it can get stuck to the carpet, is that true? I worry about him getting on the floor and loosing some toes when I hold him. Although, he doesn't really try to get away.

Thanks

I guess it is possible some may "like" being held, but mostly reptiles just tolerate it. Sometimes ppl confuse a reptile "snuggling up" to the warmth of a human as a form of affection, it's not, they are just satisfying their need for warmth.

As far as loosing a toe, very doubtful, but most anything is possible. Yes, they can get a toe caught on something like carpet, loosely woven fabrics etc..., but loosing a toe would be a bit of an extreme. For instance, if you go outside when it's lightening, you COULD get struck by lightening and die, but it's not very probable.

Thanks

i have a few that love to be held, when i go to put them back in their cages, they try really hard not to let me put them back! lol, they run up my arm and onto my shoulder and just sit there... it's kind of funny!

Thanks

Mine sometimes doesn't want to go back in the cage. It seems like he (or she) is getting less and less skittish every day. Today he ate a cricket from my hand for the first time. I tried to get him to eat some CGD from my hand, but he doesn't seem to interested in the stuff.

Thanks

lol, mine used to eat CGD from my fingers, and then i tried to let my nephew do it, and his fingers were so small i guess she thought that it was a chunk of food so she chomped down on his finger! lol, it was SO sad, my nephew was so upsed and thought that she didn't like him, but i just had to explain to him that his fingers were so small... lol, so i stopped doing that after that incident....

what type of CGD do you use? my guys refuse to eat anything but the 2 part diet, i still have this huge bottle of the one part, so i am going to use that for the hatchlings, but my adults will not touch it! i think it is kind of funny...

Thanks

no reptile "likes" to be held. at all. period. the reason they don't want to go back in their viv is because your arm(and upper body) is higher than the viv. and them being arboreal want to go in high places. also, they'll sit on your hand for warmth. that's it. unlike mammals, their brains aren't evolved enough to want or need affection. they may know that you are associated to food and they might come up to you because they think you are going to feed them. they just tolerate it.
    Tyler

Rhacodactylus ciliatus - 1.2.15.4
    Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flower View Post
    what type of CGD do you use? my guys refuse to eat anything but the 2 part diet, i still have this huge bottle of the one part, so i am going to use that for the hatchlings, but my adults will not touch it! i think it is kind of funny...

I wasn't aware there was more than one type. It's Crested Gecko Diet by T-Rex. It's got a purple cap. You just mix it with one part powder and 2 parts water.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crazycresteds View Post
    no reptile "likes" to be held. at all. period. the reason they don't want to go back in their viv is because your arm(and upper body) is higher than the viv. and them being arboreal want to go in high places. also, they'll sit on your hand for warmth. that's it. unlike mammals, their brains aren't evolved enough to want or need affection. they may know that you are associated to food and they might come up to you because they think you are going to feed them. they just tolerate it.
    I thought maybe they liked it because they get to climb and jump around and also because your hands are warm, not so much because they "want or need affection".

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RPGreg2600 View Post
    I wasn't aware there was more than one type. It's Crested Gecko Diet by T-Rex. It's got a purple cap. You just mix it with one part powder and 2 parts water.
    The TRex brand that is marketed is basically the same as the "Repashy Superfoods diet" that many other hobbyists will refer to. Both are nutritionally the same and developed by the same person, they are just are marketed differently. The TRex diet comes in a standard black bottle with a purple cap and can be found in most pet shops while the Repashy diet is marketed in variously sized silver metallic bags and usually sold in online stores.

The other diet that flower is referring to is known as the Repashy two-part diet. It consists of two powdered mixtures that are to be mixed by weight and not volume. One is a flavorless base that contains all the bulk nutrients the normal CGD contains and the second part is a fruity scented and flavored powder to be mixed in according to the gecko's preference. The base can also be mixed in safely with other food items like fresh fruit mash. You can read up more about it here at Pangea and even purchase it as well. My geckos prefer the strawberry flavoring so far but I've also been experimenting with others just to add a bit of variety.

http://www.pangeareptile.com/2part.htm
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

Ah, thanks I'll order some of that either when I run out of this stuff or if my gecko refuses to eat it. Any tips on getting him to try the stuff? I've only been successful with feeding crickets. I tried putting some on the tip of his nose to see if he'd lick it off, but he kept moving his head away and I didn't want to be too persistent.