Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: custom tank into natural set up (pictures)

Thanks

Mold is naturally occuring in a living viv, especially in the beginning few weeks while the tank is "taking over" the pieces. Usually you will get the fuzzy white mold, which is totally fine, you can just mist it away. This is why it is best to let your tank cycle for a few weeks before adding in the animals. The plants need to take hold and can fluctuate your temps and humidity until they do, therefore it is harder to setup your lighting/misting until it evens out.

It is all part of doing it, it does make the process longer, but in the end you will have virtually no maintenance as compared to other setups which need to be broken down every few weeks.
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

JSYK = Just so you know.

If mold shows up in a natural viv. you just mix the soil or wipe it off or let it be. It will run its course in a week or 2 and then be gone. It helps the tank in a way not a big deal. In paper towel set ups, it is, but mold is a natural way of breaking things down.

You got your balls, cool! LOL I use charcoal because I could not find it as well. And I started looking into ways of doing it, charcoal works almost as well and better if you use less water. I just get the tanks wet when I spray and then water a little a few times a week if it looks dry. I have never even seen standing water in the drainage layer for more than a few hours.

The moss I think is pillow moss. I did not get it at a store, I got it from my yard. Rinsed it in water and sprayed it down with mite off a few times before putting it in my tank. Its the stuff that grows on the ground when it rains if you get it up there.

I keep mite off as a preventive and spray the tanks down a few times a year. Keeps them from coming into the tanks since I work at a pet store and handle other peoples animals all day. People seem to think we are cheap vets and bring there reptiles in for us to look at. Also a good idea if you go to a reptile expo, you don't want to bring something home that you did not want.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunargecko View Post
    You got your balls, cool!
    That's funny!

Thanks for the tip on the Mite Off (is that the actual name?) I've only had frogs previously and no issues with that. Now that I have the cresteds and a corn snake I'm sure that it will come in handy.
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by lunargecko View Post
    You got your balls, cool!
    That's funny!
    Yes.... but who's got the biggest BALLS of them all!?! =P

Yep. mite off. had to use it on reptiles who have come into the store w/ them (mostly BD's and snakes, never a gecko). Try just to use it on the tank if you can. If you ever get a crested w/ mites don't over do it because it can burn/chafe there skin. Also don't get it in there eyes if you can avoid it. But mites seem to like the eye area, so its whatever you can do.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lunargecko View Post
    Yes.... but who's got the biggest BALLS of them all!?! =P
    'Tis me!
    --Brian--

Thanks

this a great setup!! where did you get the cage?

Thanks

Lol, just sayin, this thread is like 3 yrs. old
    1.0.0 Rose hair
    1.0.0 Rhacodactylus ciliatus
    1.0.0 Cockatiel
    0.2.0 Parakeet
    0.2.0 Ferrets