Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: custom tank into natural set up (pictures)

Thanks

Default custom tank into natural set up (pictures)

Hey guys~

I have had a few custom tanks made in the last month and I just picked up the newest on today.

The tank is a 18''x18''x32'' tall (42 gallons). It has a sliding screen top and a hinged screen door. Some of you may wonder as to why I did not just get one of the exo-terra. Well 3 reasons... one, I like air flow there is 2 was for the air to flow in and out of this tank (door and top) not just one. two, size/ detentions. I wanted a specific foot print for these tanks so they fit better in my reptile area. Three, Price. This tank only cost me $85 and the 4, 12''x16''x24'' tall, only were $50 each.

So far I have put in the black silicone on the walls to keep the GS from showing through the glass. Made a planter for the wall out of a Tupperware container (put holes in the bottom for drainage). Great Stuffed the wall and put in the planter and cork bark flats.

What do you think? Looking for ideas for the rest. I plan on a pothos for the wall planter. I have a mother in laws tounge and a croton standing by... not sure if I can fit each of them in because of floor space...I also have a Aglaonema but I'm not sure if they are gecko safe.

I'll post more pictures as I get more done.

TTFN
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

looks great! now, where is your planter? would it be in the ledge about half way up? where will the water drain to? what will you cover the great stuff yellow with? it's great that you can have cages custom made!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

yes the planter is on the right hand side 1/2 way up and there is no GS under it in the middle so the water will drip out of there to the ground. The picture makes it look all covered up, but its not. I think I'm going to cover the gs with soil/ coco fiber mix I think. then some moss...i think. I never know tell I get going...lol. I'll post some more pictures soon since I'm going to go start working on it here in a min.

TTFN
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

(note: i know nothing about this through experience, just very interested...)
    what about somehow getting moss to grow all over the great stuff ?
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

thats a cool idea, but I still need to get the soil on the wall so the moss has a place to grow on if I do live moss. Plus the moss will take months to fully cover the wall. I think I will have to pick up some moss spores when I go out later. I plan on putting some dry moss on the edges and such.

Thanks for the idea.

TTFN
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

very nice. i would have put at least 1-2 branches/driftwood sticking out to give it more of a 3D feel. they also serve for climbing/hiding/plant areas. but that's just me.

it would be nice for moss accents here and there, but i personally wouldn't do the whole wall moss. that would just look wierd. just stick it here and there and add some climbers(which i think would look more natural than moss...and just better looking over all) here and there and it would look really good. then the bare spots on the back(cork pieces/anywhere else) i would add neoregelias to. you need them higher up for the light and and so they dry out between mistings(though that isn't really a big deal since rhacs don't need as high humidity a dart frogs). i would also keep in mind that the plants you listed are very large and will only double or triple in size as they grow. even though you can cut them back, you WILL forget/be lazy() and you would have to do it often. the best thing to do in naturalistic vivs is to plan small/miniatures. don't forget, they will grow and fill in any empty spaces you have. also, when you first plant it, don't over plant. like i said before, they will grow and run into each other, hogging light and nutrients until only the strongest plants survive.

will you be doing a pond with a filter? just saying because if you don't, you would have to bury the water bowl in the soil to keep up with the whole natural theme. then it would get really bad taking it out to clean it and puting it back in all the time. and it would take up space...just saying.

what lights will you be using??
    Tyler

Rhacodactylus ciliatus - 1.2.15.4
    Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Thanks

No water feature in this one. Just plants and geckos I'm a little frustrated w/ my frog tanks water feature at the moment so I'm holding off on them for a bit. Anyway...I have a little more done but my camera batteries are charging so no pictures at the moment.I like the like moss idea but I don't think I will cover the whole back wall with it. Maybe the ground with some pillow moss and some other kind on the wall in parts. I did get the dried moss up and hot glued down. The wall pot has worked out well, and I'm just waiting for the hubby to get back from the store with my drainage screen. I forgot it on my last trip. I should be done with it tonight or early tomorrow. I think thats good for having just started last night at about 7pm.

I have a few pieces of wood...one of which would look really cool in the tank but its one of my males (Gaz) favorite pieces. I think he would be upset with me if I moved it. Hmm... what to do? But I may not even need it since the pothos has some very long vines that will go from the pot to the ground...I'll have to see.

TTFN
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

Umm, I know this is a bit fast but its 4:45pm an I'm done. Not even 24hrs later. LOL Coffee is my friend. j/k In all honesty there was very little to it.

Here ya go...

Just need to let it set for a few days and Then I'll put the girls in while I work on there tank.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net

Thanks

nice work, Sarah, let us know how the girls like it!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs