Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How often should I feed my gecko?

Thanks

Default How often should I feed my gecko?

I've been reading around and some places say every day, and some say 3 times a week, etc. Another place said to always dust the crickets, and another place said to dust tehm only twice a week. Yet another place said crickets twice a week and that powdered crested gecko food 3 times a week.

My gecko is a juvenille, not sure of the exact age, but about 3.5-4 inches long to the tip of his tail.

Thanks

as you have noticed, people do it differently. most would suggest fresh cgd in the cage every other day, along with fresh water. and for a juvie, crickets once or twice a week. some don't feed crickets at all since the cgd is a complete meal. some want their animals to hunt (crickets, or other bugs like roaches) for the fun of it, the exercise, and because it is natural for them to do so. many folks want to feed a variety of food, so they do crickets a few times a month, phoenix worms if their animal will eat them, fresh fruit smoothies once a month, (that would be with papaya, mango, apricot, just no citrus... and mix with just water). also, to give more variety, you could use the 2-part cgd sold here right at the bottom of the page by matt. this food comes in many different flavors. i guess people just figure out what works for them and their animals. but i think i have given some good suggestions. good luck, and keep us posted! edit: when you dust your crickets, use pure calcium powder, NO d3 included. jurassical, i think, is plain calcium.
    Last edited by marigold; 01-02-2008 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

I feed all my geckos every other day, I dust insects every time I feed them with calcium and then maybe 1 every week or two with a multivitamin powder.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

, I just looked, the calcium they sold me at the pet store is "calcium with vitamin D3". What harm does the D3 cause? So I guess I'll need to get some new calcium. I also got some "herptivite" multivitamin powder. Should I continue to use it?

CGD stands for crested gecko diet, right? I'll have to get some of that too.
    Last edited by peublan; 05-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks

[QUOTE=RPGreg2600;110362 I just looked, the calcium they sold me at the pet store is "calcium with vitamin D3". What harm does the D3 cause? So I guess I'll need to get some new calcium. I also got some "herptivite" multivitamin powder. Should I continue to use it?

CGD stands for crested gecko diet, right? I'll have to get some of that too.[/QUOTE]

D3 apparently builds up in the system of animals to toxic levels. It helps the system absorb calcium, but sometimes, it does much more harm than good, causing issues like hypercalcemia, cardiac conditions, and kidney problems. Vitamin D3 is oftentimes included in pet store calcinated products and pet food.

As for the multivitamin powder, that can be used probably once a week or so. Some people choose to use it, and some people choose not to. If you're planning on feeding CGD, then you're already introducing the full complement of vitamins and minerals necessary for your gecko, but some people prefer variety.
    Last edited by peublan; 05-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

Thanks

actually, as long as as you are feeding CGD as a staple diet and crickets only once or twice a week, i don't think you really need to dust the crickets at all. because say that on the night you were supposed feed crickets, you don't feed anything at all. now that would be fine considering you feed cgd all the time. now put crickets into that equation. if you didn't dust them, the geckos would be getting more nutrition on plain crickets than on nothing at all...it's hard to explain.

...i think the "rhac book" said that whenever you feed crickets(or any insect) you should dust WITH d3. if you want to dust them, i would do 50/50 multi-vitamins and calcium with d3. becuase if you are only feeding them once every 1-2 weeks, come on, 1 dosing of d3 will do more good then harm.

now since you don't have CGD(which is HIGHLY,HIGHLY,HIGHLY, recommended), then yes, you would need to dust with d3 and multivitamins once a week as well as feeding crickets more than once a week.

this is kinda a touchy subject though. everyone has different methods that may work out to be fine. there is really no difinate right or wrong with supplements, but it depends on what kind of diet you are feeding at the time.
    Tyler

Rhacodactylus ciliatus - 1.2.15.4
    Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Thanks

I just picked up some CGD and Jurassi cal which says it does not contain D3. I will try feeding him (or her) some CGD tommorow. By the way... how long does this CGD stuff usually last?

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Thanks

i feed my geckos everyday.... but i read in a book that you could feed them 3 or 4 times a week

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RPGreg2600 View Post
    I just picked up some CGD and Jurassi cal which says it does not contain D3. I will try feeding him (or her) some CGD tommorow. By the way... how long does this CGD stuff usually last?

Thanks for the help, everyone.
    I mix what I need and keep the powder refrigerated otherwise. I'd assume it's good for 6 months to a year...it says whatever it's good for on the label. I'm just too lazy to go look.
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pestisperamor View Post
    I mix what I need and keep the powder refrigerated otherwise. I'd assume it's good for 6 months to a year...it says whatever it's good for on the label. I'm just too lazy to go look.
    when you mix the CGD it lasts like 36 hours..... but the dust expires like in 2 years