Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 gallon tank - big enough?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by realbg View Post
    I've got a one male in an exo 12x12x18 and one female in an exo 12x12x18. Both are about 10-12 months old. They are doing fine, seems like they have enough room and are comfortable. It looks like they could stay this way long term but from what I'm getting out of this discussion that may not be ideal. I'm was planning to put them together at some future time in an exo 18x18x18 or somthing equivilant. I would then to use the spare 12x12x18's to seperate them as needed. Any thoughts on this?
    If you are referring to winter separation, personally I think that would be fine. During the winter, they are generally much less active (at least mine are), so I think a reduced tank size down to 10 gallons or so is ok (I say "or so" because I believe the 12x12x18 exo is fine, though I'm not sure if it's more like 9 gallons or 11, etc.. - I think it's 11 though).
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Well, the 12x12x18 is about 11 gals, and given that yours are not full-grown yet, it may seem adequate but once they are adults I don't think that you will find that true. Like someone said earlier, as a couple month break it may be fine, but to live a lifetime I'd say no.

If you can get the bigger one, that is what I'd go for, I got mine for $99 (XL 18x18x24), usually local pet stores can order them in for you cheaper than the chain stores. Mine is actually the ZooMed, which is the same as the Exo but just one door, so there is a clear view into the tank.

FYI, Exo conversions

Small 12"x 12"x 12" (WxDxH) = 7.48gal
    Medium 12"x 12"x 18" (WxDxH) =11.22 gal
    Large 18"x 18"x 18" (WxDxH) = 25.25 gal
    X Large 18"x 18"x 24" (WxDxH) = 33.66gal
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

Since making the original post I have been trying to decide and shopping around for the best price on a 20g tall or an exo-terra. Today, I came across the ZooMed but it was $116 (more than the Exo). I told the guy what I was looking for and he said he had a 15g tank for sale for 19.99. The dimensions are 20x10x18.

I did not buy it as I like the idea of the 20 tall but I am tempted. Based on what everyone is saying here, 20g is the minimum for one adult, correct?

The guy at the store said the 15 is fine and while I like the height of it, it seems a little narrow. I'm assuming I made the right decision by passing on the deal but I'm coming here for reassurance. Should I go back tomorrow for the deal or hold out for a 20 tall or exo?

Thanks

They will tell you anything to make a sale.

You could easily get a nice used tank on freecycle or craigslist.com. I have gotten 3 20L tanks recently (for snakes) and they have screen tops, they are usually well over $50, but I paid between $15 and $25 for each.

A 20H tank is very common and you should have no problem finding one. I wouldn't pay more than $1/gal. They are usually just listed as 20 gal tanks (not 20H), check under the Pets area and also search under "for sale" using "fish tank" and "aquarium".

I got my first crested and the 20 gal tank for $40.
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

Why pay less for something that will STILL be inadequate? You'll just end up spending more money in the future when your cresties are full grown. Once you see your kids in a full size tank, you'll wonder what you were thinking keeping them in 10's.

Save up for a 20. If you REALLY like the exo-terras, then save up for that, but there really aren't any advantages worth the extra money unless you keep the tanks in an area of the house where they are on display. At least in my opinion anyway.

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I'll be going with a 20g tall.

Thanks

Here is an idea for you, I had these made for 50$ each from a local tank manufacturer in my area. If you can find a place like that near you that could work out well. He is also now making me a 18x18x32 tall tank with the same set up for 85$. If you can find people who make them for a living and have the supplies you can get tanks made for fairly cheap and made the way YOU want them.

These ones in the picture are the same foot print as a standard 20g tall but made to be on there sides for more height. There is a sliding screen top and the screen door. The rest is 1/4inc glass. the bottom is water tight so I can plant it in the future.
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

*pulls photo onto desktop for future reference* THANKS, Sarah!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

LOL.. how many of my pictures do you now have on your puter Marigold? Your welcome to any you like. Glad I could be of some help!
    Sarah & Jake
    LunarGecko.net
    Feel free to check out our Fauna reviews or follow us on FaceBook!
    You can also check out most of our animals on our iherp page.

Thanks

Those are some nice looking tanks.

Until Ragdoll mentioned it, I never thought to look at Craig's list. One search turned up a perfect 20G tall tank with a split screen top for sale for $30 not to far from me. Turns up the guy selling it used to breed geckos but has moved on to bull dogs. He was a great guy to talk to and hooked me up with a good deal.

We visited Michael's after I bought the tank and spent all the money we saved on bamboo and plants and vines. The tank came out great and Sly seems quite happy wandering and climbing around his new home.