Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 10 gallon tank - big enough?

Thanks

Default 10 gallon tank - big enough?

I've got one male crestie for my son in a 10g tank. The gecko is just 6" right now and seems to be doing well after being with us for ~4 weeks. I've read that 1 gecko can be housed in a 10g tank but it seems many recommend a 20g tank or larger for an adult.

So my question is... is a 10g tank sufficient in size for one male gecko? It is not currently setup to be taller than it is long as my current screen and glasstop and lighting system is designed for the tank to be set longer than taller.

Should I be looking at a bigger tank, a taller tank or something like an exo-terra for one gecko or is 10g enough. We currently do have plenty of climbing and hiding structures for him but I'm debating adding either a pre-fab climbing structure / background or not bothering with that if I need to go larger - especially as he grows to full size.

Thanks!

Thanks

You really need to get at least a 30 gallon tank for him for when he is fully grown. He needs a lot of room.I personally do not think it is fair to them if you keep them in small enclosures when they are full grown..kinda like keeping a dog confined to only the bathroom its whole life..not very fair, or healthy. That is just my opinion though.

Thanks

I think a nicely furnished 20 gal (high) will be just fine for one male. That is generally the recommended size for an adult or even two. A ten is kind of a starter tank. The Exoterra's are certainly nice, but pricey.

I have a smaller male that is in a 20 with cork and vines and it is more than adequate. The more hiding areas you have the better.

Are you doing substrate or a sparse bottom? If a sparse bottom the Acrylic Zillas are about 20 gals and have a nice front door for around $45 I think at reptilesupply. If you get an Exo it needs to be the 18x18x18 or larger (the other ones are 11 gals or less).
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.0.2 Red-eyed tree frogs
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

You could also try this thing: http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...oducts_id=1586

You would probably have to saran wrap the sides or something to keep the humidity in, or buy a humdifier for the room though.
    Over 35 animals owned, scaled, furry and just plain crazy.

Thanks

A 20g is more than meeting the needs of an adult male crested. They can live in a ten, and many would argue be quite happy and healthy. I currently have two males in one ten each (on end) for the winter. I do think they are content and happy, though I would not keep this as a long term arrangement. My other male is in a 20 or 25g (it's not a standard size, I haven't bothered to figure out how many gallons it is exactly) and I'm much more comfortable with that arrangement.

Come a couple more months, and both of the males in 10's will be reintroduced to females in 29g's, so I'm not overly concerned. I would not keep this as an indefinite set-up though, as I don't feel 10g's can adquately meet the needs of them. They just don't allow for all that much space to move around IMHO.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

I agree Indy, I have my adult female that I just got in a 10 gal. It is to be the quarantine/laying tank. She's only been in there for 3 weeks and the new 33 gal tank I'm doing now will be where she will go in a couple weeks. The current tank has vines and cork but it is too cramped for a life in there.
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback so far.

I looked at tank toppers but I don't think I could maintain adequate humidity during the winter months with that much open air.

I like the idea of the acryllic zilla. I'm currently using coco substrate both for humidity retention and to serve as a weight to hold in place 3 of the driftwood climbing structures.
    Last edited by Brian O; 12-19-2007 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks

I think the Zilla Acrylic is a good alternative, I am thinking of getting one for my male when he's out of the main cage over the winter as well. At least I know he will have enough room and I won't be fighting to keep the humidity up. It looks convenient with the front door as well.

Another option is putting a 20L on end and using a hinged screen. You would just put a piece of silicone across the bottom to hold in your substrate/drainage layer. Then the hinged top (acting as a front of the tank)will open down (center hinge). Lately I've found a couple 20L's for pretty cheap, one was $25 the other was $15. It gives alot of room for taller plants and wood pieces.
    Bridget

1.2.2.2 Crested Geckos
    0.2.0 Cats
    0.1.0 English Mastiff

Thanks

When I move my juvies from 10s to 20s, they have MASSIVE growth spurts. That alone tells me the 20 is the correct size, and I wouldn't keep a mature (subadult) male in anything smaller.

Thanks

I've got a one male in an exo 12x12x18 and one female in an exo 12x12x18. Both are about 10-12 months old. They are doing fine, seems like they have enough room and are comfortable. It looks like they could stay this way long term but from what I'm getting out of this discussion that may not be ideal. I'm was planning to put them together at some future time in an exo 18x18x18 or somthing equivilant. I would then to use the spare 12x12x18's to seperate them as needed. Any thoughts on this?