Thread: 55 gal tall

Thanks

Default 55 gal tall

someone wants to give me a 55 gal tall with the stand that goes with it for free. it would be given for the corn snake in my classroom. it's quite a tall cage, and when i saw it the first thing i thought was: what a great cage for geckos! my question is: could this be a good cage for my adult corn snake, (4 feet long)? would the snake like to wind around wood and vines placed diagonally in the tank from a bottom corner up to an opposite top corner? or would it be best to have a longer tank that this snake could stretch out in? i wish i had the dimentions of this tank. i swear, it's two feet tall. oh, it's an older tank that one of my student's moms has had for years.

our original plan was to have a bakesale, and use some third grade fund money to buy a 40 gal breeder with the lid that latches shut, and can lock. would this be a better choice for my corn snake? or should i go for the longest cage i can find?
    thanks!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

A 55 gal. would be great for a corn snake. Though a 40 gal. breeder would be just as good.

Corns like to climb and would enjoy being able to climb some of the branches, and the 55 gallon is free, I would say take it
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

I had a sub-adult corn several years ago that loved to climb. I would often find her resting on the interior rim of the 55g she was in.

The only issue I had with that setup is that it was an older tank, and the newer cage clips to lock her in didn't fit quite right. She was the only snake I've ever had that managed to get out of a cage, but luckily the beardie I had back then noticed she was crawling around HIS cage (outside of it) and he was rather po'ed about that. Noticing his unusual behavior one night, I followed his gaze and found the snake before I'd even realized she'd escaped. It was a lucky break. LOL
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

i will just have to see if i can get a screen top that fits, and if i can get a way to lock it. this is why i lean toward the 40 gal breeder... those tops are great. i am thinking that they'll still give the tank, and we can use that to build a crestie natural tank. we'll see. i can hardly wait to get my corn snake in a better set-up!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs