Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crested gecko vomiting

Thanks

The gecko definitely appears to have something wrong with it. I would lean towards MBD, but only because I'm not sure what else would be causing these symptoms and that appearance.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

i would also say it leans towards mbd, i had the same issue with one of my geckos. she couldn't keep her food down, she seemed to have a siezure as well, which are bothe signs of MBD. it isn't that she is projectile vomiting and shaking her head while doing so, but sitting very still with her head up and mouth open just trying to keep the food down right?

i would definately take him/her to the vet. try wattering down the food, and get a baby medicine dropper to just let it lick the dropps off of the end. you will also want to add alot of calcium [with out D3] to the diet, more than you normally do. but you still need to go to the vet

Thanks

Hey guys,
    so i took him to the vet, and it turns out he probably has mbd. The vet said I need to buy a UV lamp, which unfortunately before I had been told I didnt need one, and that would help. He also gave him some medicine for any parasites, and he told me that to make sure there was no impaction to feed him libby's pure pumpkin from the grocery store, which because of the fiber, makes him poop. He is doing a lot better now, and has tons more energy and is getting stronger every day! Thanks to everyone for all your advice, it was comforting. =-)

Thanks

UV isnt needed. But I have heard that it does help protect MBD and other Crested Gecko diseases. Its probably best if you just Kept to CGD, Mayeb add a little Calcium(pure) to it.
    Donovan

1.2.0 Crested Geckos
    0.1.0 Leopard Geckos
    1.1.0 Golden Retrievers
    1.0.0 Shih Tzu

(I thought I had More.)

No Worries Mate.

Thanks

yeah, he just said that the uv light is needed for them to digest the calcium, for their bones etc

Thanks

yah, you want to make sure as well, that every 6months or so, even if the light is still working, to change the lightbulb, because after 6 months the uv part starts to depleat and then it is like a regular light bulb and doesn't really help with anything...

Thanks

Name:  tumblr_ot42u3WONk1s8gmywo1_500.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  71.7 KB
    I took my gecko in and he has SEVERE MBD and has trouble swallowing due to a n extreme dip in his spine. I don't think that geckos can throw up in the same way that humans can because my gecko has experienced the same thing in the past. Now and then, Quasi does choke and, to get excess food out of his mouth, he opens his mouth [I]really[I] wide and shakes his head to get it to fly out of his mouth. Though MBD can cause seizures, if your gecko was shaking while it had food in its mouth, it might have just been trying to get rid of its food.
    here's a video I took when Quasi was having trouble swallowing and almost ended up doing this https://www.instagram.com/p/BVqt5C9g...opheadedmerlin (I was always too stressed and nervous to videotape when it was bad enough for him to have to shake his head). He does better with thinner foods so his CGD is always on the more watery side. I try to make it as thick as possible so that he gets a lot of nutrients but thin enough so that he can swallow it easily.

Thanks

Even if a normally healthy gecko doesn't need UV, they will need it to help recover from MBD. Same with snakes. It will allow them to metabolize more D3 than normal. Florescent UV sources need to be changed every 6 months, they also have to be fairly close to be of any real use.

There are a few reptile supplements out specifically for helping with MBD. I know Repashy makes one. I think it's called Rescue-Cal. I keep a little bag of it on hand just in case in the fridge, and replace it when it gets old. Vitamins and minerals keep better and longer if refrigerated.

Only other thing I'd say is blindly treating for parasites is not a great idea. If you can get a poop, I'd get it tested to see what, if any, parasites your little one actually has. Parasite meds can be hard on the system, and even more so when the reptile is sick. So giving one that doesn't do anything for what you have (or if you don't have anything) isn't particularly great. Unfortunately, I have a large amount of experience treating parasites in reptiles. I've also helped a beardie recover from MBD, and he had both his front legs broken. He lived almost a normal life span.

Lots of TLC.