Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: crested gecko vomiting

Hybrid View

Thanks

Unhappy crested gecko vomiting

I'm a new gecko owner, and this is my first crested. My baby crested is about 4-5 months old now, and about a month ago he had lost a lot of weight and lost his stickiness on his feet. I started feeding him the crested gecko diet, and he seemed to get better and better....till he started shedding his skin. It has been about five days, and I have tried to hand feed him as i have been doing since he got sick before, and he still hasnt dropped his skin.
    Then, just now, he did start eating after five days of not eating. But all of a sudden he started opening his mouth really wide and i could see the food in his throat. He did that a couple times, while his body spasmed like he was going to vomit, then he bit me...crawled away and regurgitated a little. Im so worried and I just dont know what to do! help!

Thanks

Okay....
    1st of- GO TO A VET RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2nd- What is the humidity in the cage?
    The temperature?
    For the shedding, put him in a deli cup with moist papertowel, and leave him in there for a while. Or you could make a shedding 'cave' for him. Get a rubbermaid/tubberware container (small size, but big enough for the gecko) and make a hole in it so he can get in, but make sure there are no sharp edges. Put some moist papertowel in there and you have a shedding cave!
    But FIRST: TO THHHHHEEEEEEEEEE VET!

Thanks

so...I did put him in a moist cup and he shed the rest of his skin...finally. Im still going to take him to the vet tomorrow (vet is closed today). Ill update after that. Thanks for the help!

Thanks

seizuring can also be a sign of vitamin/calcium deficiency.

The crested gecko diet should be fed as-is and not mixed with babyfood (dilutes nutritional value).

You also have to be careful not to OVER supplement as well.

Make sure your vet knows more than just leopard geckos and bearded dragons or you can get some very bad advice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmarie29 View Post
    But all of a sudden he started opening his mouth really wide and i could see the food in his throat. He did that a couple times, while his body spasmed like he was going to vomit, then he bit me...crawled away and regurgitated a little. Im so worried and I just dont know what to do! help!
    It could definitely be some kind of seizure, as mentioned above.

But when he was eating and you were "hand feeding" him - are you opening his mouth and pouring or squirting it in? Because if so, he could have aspirated (or began to) on it - which means some got into his lungs, which would cause a reaction like you saw.

If he was licking it up voluntarily off your finger or out of a bowl you were holding, then did the above behavior, I would lean towards a seizure type "diagnosis." Though of course we are not vets, and can not see the animal.

Can you post a pic so we can get an idea of the overall exterior health and appearance of this little guy?
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

here are some pictures I took tonight...he seemed much calmer when I held him...
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks

Not to sound alarmist, but his right front leg appears to me as if it may have been fractured (and possibly rehealed), which makes me think it may be a case of calcium deficiency/metabolic bone disease. Please take this little guy to the vet ASAP. Check Herp Vet Connection online for a reputable herp vet in your area.

Please let us know what the vet says, and best of luck with your little guy.
    Lydia
    Kept by a veritable plethora of rhacs and other critters
    www.sandiacresteds.com

Thanks

is vomiting a sign of impaction?
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

hell to me it looks like MBDi have 2 with mbd and are now better.. the legs are like my two geckos..

havent got phooto of the other one..
    they now after 5 months,
    they have starte dto be abe to climb again they have fits, they cant stick etc etc
    Mod edited

Thanks

Yeah, i would have to agree with getting him to a vet ASAP. The only thing i have to offer to this that wasnt already said (or maybe i missed it) was that you will not see their shedding 95%+ of the time. they shed at night, and they eat it so unless they accidentally leave a piece behind, you most likely wont be finding any.

Good luck with your gecko!
    --Brian--