Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EVERYTHING leachies!

Thanks

Default EVERYTHING leachies!

k, so i've made my choice to be leachies, and i have a few questions...

1. neonates should be kept in 10s? split 10s (to make them 5 gallon)?

2. how long should they be kept in there?

3. after upgrading, they should go to a 15 gallon?20 gallon? err...

4. after that, then what?

just so you know, my leading choices are grande terre type "b" and nuu amis and new anas(which pretty much fall into the same category when caging is concerned...right?). i'm also curious as to how large STL nuu anas and amis get? all i come up with is SVL.

i hope everyone can just come on this thread and share their experiences,tips,care, pretty much ANYTHING concerning leachies.

thanks!

-CC

Edit**- price ranges for the nuu ana,ami, and type "b" GTs??
    Tyler

Rhacodactylus ciliatus - 1.2.15.4
    Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Thanks

grande terras get alot bigger then henkeli, so they are going to need more space. I havent raised GTs from neonates, so I cant really speak on them. I keep hatchlings in a critter keeper for the first month, then I move them up to a naturalistic split 10 for the first few months. Once they hit 20 grams [~ 6 months] I put them in their own 10 gallon, till they hit ~75g, I know that seems kind of small, but I have had great success with leachies continuing to eat well for me, and bulk up, if they stay in slightly smaller cages for the first year. After that I move them to a vertical custom cage that is ~ the same as a 40 gallon on its end.

Starting from hatchlings, I hand feed cgd/ggd/lgd or some mix between them, to which i add more multivitamin and calcium, and instead of using 100% water, i use some mango juice, or some apricot juice in addition to sweeten the mix up, when they get about 10-12g, I start to offer them dusted crickets. They also do VERY well if offered small live geckos ~ once every week or 2. Does wonders in straightening out their tails, and growth spurts.

Naturalistic cages include, cocofiber bedding, cork bark, pothos, glass cage with screen lid. In the 5 gallon, there are orange isopods, rolly pollys, roaches, in the 10 gallon, there is that + an african black millipede. I spray daily, or twice daily, and they have 10.0 reptisun bulb above their cages, on a 12/12 cycle.

As for pricing, check out Steve at www.leapinleachies.com [its better if you call him] his prices are reasonable, and all of his locales are pure [and can be documented] AND he has like every locale.

and what is STL?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bleeding_sarcasm View Post
    i add more multivitamin and calcium, and instead of using 100% water, i use some mango juice, or some apricot juice in addition to sweeten the mix up,
    What kind of multi-vitamin do you use? Do you use jurassical so there is no added D3? How do you know how much extra to use when it comes to both the multi and the calcium? Do you use 100% juice storebought or do you juice your own?

Sorry for all the questions.
    I am the lizard king. I can do anything.

Runic Reptiles

Thanks

its no problem. I use herptivite multivitamin [by repcal] and either rep cal or tri-cal calcium. The latter is almost impossible to find, I get it locally, and it doesnt taste like butt. I use 100% juice. and the calcium has d3 in it, but the addition of UVB lets you be over or under in your supplementation without any ill effects. Leachies hatch out with kinky tails and almost always walk a fine line, so I add more calcium to their diet to help straighten it out.

I just weighed my raise ups, and this hand feeding thing is really paying off. My oldest gecko, is 5 months old, and already 25g!

Thanks

No matter what you do ... do not put them in too big of a cage. They just do not do well in larger cages. They also grow slow so do not be worried if they do not seem to be growing. It takes awhile!

I also recommend Steve Cemelli, very nice guy and he has some amazing geckos.
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

I agree about the smaller cages at first. Once they hit 75-100g, i think its fine to throw them into their adult cage so they can continue to blow up.

I dont know about them growing slowly, mine are the complete opposite. 5g a month is not slow growth if you ask me

Thanks

gotcha! so how long until they outgrow the 10 gallon? i was thinking a yr, but...i'm probably wrong.
    Tyler

Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Thanks

Depends on their growth rate. I would say a 10 gallon for a year [at least for henkeli] is fine.

Thanks

cool! then i'd have a lot of time to buy/ set up it's permanent cage. probably a 40 gallon then for a nuu ana or ami?

tamara, what locales of leachies do you keep? i'll probably just follow what you do till i have a good grounding on leachianus, then i could develope my own methods of raising leachies, but for now, i'll prolly just follow you...lol.
    Tyler

Felis domesticus - 0.1.0

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bleeding_sarcasm View Post
    grande terras get alot bigger then henkeli, so they are going to need more space. I havent raised GTs from neonates, so I cant really speak on them. I keep hatchlings in a critter keeper for the first month, then I move them up to a naturalistic split 10 for the first few months. Once they hit 20 grams [~ 6 months] I put them in their own 10 gallon, till they hit ~75g, I know that seems kind of small, but I have had great success with leachies continuing to eat well for me, and bulk up, if they stay in slightly smaller cages for the first year. After that I move them to a vertical custom cage that is ~ the same as a 40 gallon on its end.

Starting from hatchlings, I hand feed cgd/ggd/lgd or some mix between them, to which i add more multivitamin and calcium, and instead of using 100% water, i use some mango juice, or some apricot juice in addition to sweeten the mix up, when they get about 10-12g, I start to offer them dusted crickets. They also do VERY well if offered small live geckos ~ once every week or 2. Does wonders in straightening out their tails, and growth spurts.

Naturalistic cages include, cocofiber bedding, cork bark, pothos, glass cage with screen lid. In the 5 gallon, there are orange isopods, rolly pollys, roaches, in the 10 gallon, there is that + an african black millipede. I spray daily, or twice daily, and they have 10.0 reptisun bulb above their cages, on a 12/12 cycle.

As for pricing, check out Steve at www.leapinleachies.com [its better if you call him] his prices are reasonable, and all of his locales are pure [and can be documented] AND he has like every locale.

and what is STL?

Hey Tamara,

What CGD flavors work best for you? I am about to place a order for the 4lb bag. The author was referencing STL as Snout to Tail Length.