Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best "Pet" lizard?

Thanks

Default Best "Pet" lizard?

Hey guys,

Well after keeping and breeding geckos forever, I've decide to reduce my collection down to only a few breeding pairs. (Getting ready to graduate, move, and start my career so keeping a million and one geckos right now just doesn't fit into the plan.)

Anywho, I have been thinking about getting a "Pet" lizard to fill the whole my life. By "Pet Lizard" I mean one that is intelligent, sweet, and is personable. (Unlike most geckos I've kept which prefer to run and hide, and love to bite your finger if given the chance.)

I'd love to hear what everyone's favorite "Pet" lizard is, and if you have any presonal experience I'd love some care tips, funny stories or antics.

Thanks!

P.S. Nothing too big. I can't go getting any iguanas right now, no matter how much I would love one.
    - Nicole -

Please visit http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/ for more information on Aplastic Anemia

Thanks

Ackies are a good one. The are monitors but dont get too big.
    -Justin-

Leachianus - Chahoua - Ciliatus

http://www.facebook.com/JTReptile

Thanks

Blue tongue skinks are fun. So are bearded dragons. Iguanas can be great if you have the time and space, but I've met very few people who had enough of either.

Thanks

I vote for either a blue tongue skink or an Argentine black and white or red tegu. If I were to get a pet lizard at the moment it would most likely be a tegu though, they're just so intelligent and their personalities are really rewarding in my opinion. Someday when I have a little more space for a larger lizard I'd love to add one to my collection.

Several of my friends have had these tegus in the past and they are great reptiles as long as they are properly socialized while young and you are comfortable with the larger sized enclosure they require. Golden tegus should probably be avoided though as they are normally pretty aggressive and difficult to tame and handle. Columbian black and whites also have a different personality and can be fickle with their owners although they can look quite similar to the Argentines and be easily mistaken as the same animal.

We had a Argentine B&W at my old workplace for awhile that would affectionately rub against your hand like a cat and eat it's food from a spoon. She just adored being patted and would almost cuddle against your shoulders and close her eyes when you picked her up. She would also just sit contently like a dog on your lap and she relished attention. She was an absolute sweetheart and I was so sad the day she sold but at least she went to a good home.

They may have a tendency to be a little flighty and untrusting at a very young age like with most reptiles, but they quickly tame down and will happily laze around for most of the day and seem to enjoy human company. They're very intelligent and have very human-like eyes. I would actually find myself quite often forgetting I was interacting with a reptile.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

I vote for Leopard Gecko or African Fat Tailed Gecko. It's wonderfull to have such kitten like animals you can sit with and pet, especially AFT'S. For the short time we had one, you could sit there and watch TV with the little guy and he wouldnt try to run away, he would let you pet him and even like it, and had such a cute face and laid-back personality.

Leo's have tons of personality but theyre a bit more hyper, so its a bit harder just to sit down and enjoy the day, maybe read a book, with a leo on your shoulder when it wants to do a few laps around your neck.
    Over 35 animals owned, scaled, furry and just plain crazy.

Thanks

Well, as you said nothing too big, I certainly won't recommend a tegu or monitor....though I'm a big tegu fan myself and *eventually* when I have the time and appropriate space for one, will bring one home.

I personally love my mali uromastyx. He's super friendly, hardy, and always hanging out during the day (a big plus for pet lizards, IMHO, is having one that is awake and out and about during the day so you actually SEE them!).

Beardies are another good, obvious, choice. I personally think they are a bit too high maintenance (not hard, just constant care and eat WAY too much!), but if you have the time and want to devote it to a few pets, that would be another option.

I've always been a big fan of chinese water dragons too. They can be super friendly if they're handled regularly from a young age. They get decent sized, but a lot of the 2 - 3 foot length is tail.

Have you thought about a snake? They can be really easy to care for, and quite personable.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    Well, as you said nothing too big, I certainly won't recommend a tegu or monitor....though I'm a big tegu fan myself and *eventually* when I have the time and appropriate space for one, will bring one home.
    Lol, I entirely missed that part. Niqui, what's your ideal size limit for an enclosure? Other people here have thrown out some pretty good suggestions.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

I would vote for a Blue Tongue Skink. Awesome lizards. I currently have 2 with a third coming next tuesday. Each one has their own personality, but the two I have now are nice tempered. I think I noticed you are on BTS.net, great place for more info. If you have any specific questions about them, feel free to ask me. I would love to help!

Thanks

I love my Beardie... he's not too big, not too fussy and never shows any aggression. He'll sit on my shoulder or chest and watch a movie or do some quick errands with me... and he LOVES attention!! He is a little protective and jealous, as far as, my other lizards and my husband... his little beard goes black as coal when someone approaches me (or I am handling another pet). Oh.. and he sits patiently and eats from my hand... bugs and salad, etc. He's a good boy!

..I guess you could say that I "2-time" the Beardie cuz I also love my Uromastyx. Tandoor is a Niger "red phase" and about the same size as Hugo (the Beardie). He's smoother everywhere that Hugo is prickly... except for that monster tail (not called Spiny Tailed Lizards for nothing). He's another big movie buff and enjoys just hanging out with me. He also eats from my hand. The funniest thing about him is, he is forever sitting strategically in his tank so that he can see whatever I am doing... he loves to watch!

I am also a big fan of Argentine B&W Tegus, though.. and Blue Tongue Skinks.... I just don't have the space for them at the moment.
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

AFT and Leo, AFT AND LEOOOOOOO!
    Over 35 animals owned, scaled, furry and just plain crazy.