Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: albino corn snake for adoption

Thanks

Question albino corn snake for adoption

we were in petco this evening, and they have an albino corn snake up for adoption. it looks pretty grown up, about 3' long, curious, active, friendly. we have been developing a curiosity for snakes, and have been doing some research. we are considering adopting this snake tomorrow. i thought i read something about albino snakes, though, that are sensitive to the light, but need the heat from the light. is there any truth to this? what do you think?
    how common are albino corns?
    thanks,
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

With snakes you don't typically need special lighting. For heat, you want to use an under tank heater. If you need to supplemental heat in the form of a heatbulb, you want to use one that is blue, red, or black light or ceramic heat emitters work well and last a long time. Corn snakes are nocturnal (the reason for not needing light), so you won't even have to worry about their exposure to light, although I've never even heard of there being a problem . . .

Corn snakes make awesome first snakes, they're very hardy.
    -Shawna

1.0.2 Crested Geckos
    1.0.0 African Fat-tailed Gecko
    1.0.0 Leopard Gecko
    0.0.1 Ball Python
    1.0.0 Corn snake
    1.0.0 Betta
    2.0.0 Cats
    1.1.0 Dogs
    1.0.0 Spouse

Thanks

I would definitely go with a UTH (under tank heater) with an albino corn. The light really hurts their eyes when they are albino.
    Albino corns are very abundant and actually have many other forms of albino, well I should say morphs, out there.
    Corns are a great beginner snake!!
    ~Christa~
    Avalon Reptiles

" If all the beasts were gone man would die from loneliness of spirit... for whatever happens to the beast, happens to the man" -Chief Seattle-

Thanks

what do you know about a ceramic coil type heater?? it has been recommended by a petco employee.
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

The ceramic heaters are nice because they are long lasting, provide heat without light, and are supposed to be more temp "accurate" than other bulbs (whether that last part is true, I'm unsure of).

I'm not personally a big fan of UTH. I've seen too many burns come from them, and when they are applied to the side of the tank they don't seem to do much IMHO.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

UTH are the best thing because being under the tank makes it help with digestion. All you need to do is get a heat controller, tape the probe to the glass over it, set it to 78-80*F, and you wont have temp problems w/ your corn. I dunno if adults like it hotter or cooler.
    Over 35 animals owned, scaled, furry and just plain crazy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
    UTH are the best thing because being under the tank makes it help with digestion. All you need to do is get a heat controller, tape the probe to the glass over it, set it to 78-80*F, and you wont have temp problems w/ your corn. I dunno if adults like it hotter or cooler.
    where would i find one of these temp controllers?
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    The ceramic heaters are nice because they are long lasting, provide heat without light, and are supposed to be more temp "accurate" than other bulbs (whether that last part is true, I'm unsure of).

I'm not personally a big fan of UTH. I've seen too many burns come from them, and when they are applied to the side of the tank they don't seem to do much IMHO.
    i am actually inclined to use both the ceramic coil and the uth (if i can control the heat). with the ceramic coil, does it sit on top of the tank? my tank has a screen top, so that wouldn't work. what do folks do?

also, there will be a ceramic bowl of water in the tank. what temp should the water be?
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GoGo View Post
    GoGo: does that mean tape the probe over the heat mat, under the mat but outside the cage, (right on the bottom of the glass), or inside the tank on the glass that the heat mat is under? sorry to be dense.
    thanks,
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

Inside the tank on the glass that the heat mat is under. Or when your securing the mat to the tank you could stick it between mat and glass, but that gives u securing problems so i sujest inside the tank on the glass over the mat.
    Over 35 animals owned, scaled, furry and just plain crazy.