Thread: hemipenes problem

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default hemipenes problem

How about a nonretracting hemipene? One of my males has had it just hanging out for about 3 days now. What can I do?
    -Eli
    "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Thanks

Default Re: hemipenes problem

Quote Originally Posted by BadAssHerps
    How about a nonretracting hemipene? One of my males has had it just hanging out for about 3 days now. What can I do?
    -Eli
    I apologize in advance to you Doc if I'm stepping over my boundaries, but here's what I've heard: With hemipenes that won't retract I've always heard of soaking them in a super saturated sugar solution or at least dabbing some on the hemipene. At this point, if it doesn't go in soon, you are risking infection. I would try to get it in pronto, if not, you'll need to visit a vet. Just my 2 cents.
    -Harold
    CC Herps http://www.ccherps.com

Coming soon...

www.versatilevivariums.com

Thanks

Hey thanks alot, has anyone seen the docter?
    -Eli :?:
    "The foulest death is preferable to the cleanest slavery"

Thanks

Using a hypertonic sugar "hot pack" plus some KY jelly may help by drawing some fluid out of the protruding tissue, allowing it to retract. If it doesn't go back in, it might have to be replaced under anesthesia, with a temporary suture to hold things together. Probably ought to keep him by himself or at least someplace where he cannot see other geckos, too.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

Badass,

I actually had a male (my first crested EVER) that had this problem. I separated him from his ladies, placing him in an enclosure with nothing but a misted paper towel. I rubbed lubricating jelly on the hemipene and left him in the hopes that it would retract on its own.

The following morning, the hemipene had still not retracted, so he went in to the vet. After the initial examination, Bob (the gecko) stayed behind to have his hemipene pushed in manually and have a purse string (the suture that Dr. Alan was talking about) put in. After this procedure, I picked him up and took him home, only to see the hemipene swell out around the suture a few hours later. Back to the vet we went.

After the second examination, the vet recommended that we neuter Bob. I've never heard of neutering a gecko, but I was desperate. Bob was neutered and came home a few hours later.

Bob looked fine for the first few days, but never ate after his surgery. I tried everything... cricket mash, fruit blends, etc. Nothing worked. Eventually, Bob looked so bad that he had to be put to sleep. (I cried like a baby... I absolutely LOVED that gecko. )

After losing Bob, I did a bit of research on the problem. I found another person who had the same problem who had left his gecko completely alone... letting the hemipene eventually shrivel up and fall off. (YEOWCH!) He said that his gecko did fine afterwards. I found another person who's gecko recovered after having the purse string procedure, and a few others who's geckos had complications and didn't make it.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation and I know exactly what you're going through. Good luck with your gecko!!! Keep us posted on his progress!
    ~Sarah~
    www.CrestedLady.com

"This is your life, are you who you want to be?" -Switchfoot