Thread: "In case of an emergency..." for your pets

Thanks

Default "In case of an emergency..." for your pets

Does anyone here have details down in writing as to care and keeping of your pets in case something happens to you? I'm not even talking about death - but something as simple a bad car accident that leaves you hospitalized and possibly unconscious.

I don't consider myself a keeper of any truely "exotic" species, but to 99% of the people I know (in person that live nearby), most of my animals are a mere fascination for them. They don't even know what species they are, much less how to care for them.

I am going to take some time here in the near future to write out a detailed list, including description of each animal and which cage they are in. The list will contain short term care (a few days) all the way up to "in case of my death..." who to contact, what to do with the animals. My brother lives nearby, and could take my red tailed boa (he has her full sister, and is familar with care because of that), and he could possibly take care of my uromastyx. But as for the rest.....

Guess I'm just thinking outloud here. How many of you have prepared for an emergency, especially those that are like me and have primarily friends/family that aren't familiar with proper care of reptiles? My other pets (horse, dogs, cats, and birds) are all going to be ok if something were to happen with me. They have been accounted for, so to speak. The reptiles though...that's a whole different story.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

We have short term care instructions written up, but haven't given any thought to long term care. That might be something to think about as well. Egads....
    ~ Dorothy ~

4.7 Crested Gecko ~ 2.0.1 Chahoua ~ 0.1 Gargoyle
    1.2 Leopard Gecko ~ 1.0 Bearded Dragon ~ 1.1 Pictus
    1.0 Anole ~ 1.0 Box Turtle ~ 1.0 Tree Frog

Thanks

That is a really good question. I haven't done either but now that it's been brought up, I sure will here soon. I guess I have the Mom mentality, nothing can happen to me, I have kids to come home to. I'm not allowed to get hurt or sick.

My question now is, what do you do with these instructions? Where do they go? Do you distribute them to family and hope they can find them if the need arises? Obvoiusly you would want a set with the animals, but how else to you plan to handle them?

Good thread.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4minters View Post
    My question now is, what do you do with these instructions? Where do they go? Do you distribute them to family and hope they can find them if the need arises? Obvoiusly you would want a set with the animals, but how else to you plan to handle them?
    I've got a set of mine on my fridge, and two family members can get into the house in case of an emergency to get to the info. Papers include general upkeep info as well as the best places to get more food, and vet numbers for both mammals and exotics. Each animal's enclosure is labeled as well so people can keep track of exact animals. I also keep a journal of growth rates, egg-laying and the like on paper, not my computer, as who knows who'd be able to log in to my comp. I'm currently working on a list of people to whom the critters may be adopted out to should the need arise.

I also put more in-depth care info up on a website my emergency-care folks know how to reach In case of my death, the website will only be around for a few months, but it'd be plenty long enough to make sure everything is printed out from there as well in case they wanted supplemental info.

Thanks

Good idea. i have most of my animals in my Will, and a neighbor next door can get into my house and she is good with reptiles. so i think we are ok. but i will type up directions just in case. Thanks for the idea.
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 4minters View Post

I haven't figured that part out yet entirely, but I think I'd give a copy to my mother and another copy to my best friend. Neither of them has reptile experience, but they are both responsible enough to follow written instructions to the best of their abilities, and the bulk of the "list" would be who to contact regarding certain animals. So ideally, their responsibility would lie in getting the appropriate people there who would then know how to care for the animals.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

i'm going to place mine in a clear binder page, and use a plastic tie to hook it to the shelves that my geckos are caged on. the dog care can be left in the dog room.
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband