Thread: !! CALCI WORMS GROW UP!

Thanks

Default !! CALCI WORMS GROW UP!

hey, i have been exerimenting with calci worms since i have 2 females who laid a lot of clutches and were/are depleated of calcium. i got calci worms about a month ago, and i was disappointed that they were so tiny you almost couldn't see them, and they crawled right out of any enclosure to the point that you would really need to hand feed individually, which really sort of turned me off to using them. so a small tub of calci worms has been sitting on my desk for a few weeks, unused. my red girl is down to 25 grams after her last clutch, and last night i noticed her tail is kinked. i got the calci worms out thinking they would all be dead. BOY WAS I WRONG! they were alive and grown up!! they were about 1 centimeter long, and PLUMP! i put 4 in a kk with firestar, and the worms were perfect in their level of activity. they wiggled around, but couldn't really climb up the side, and firestar just LOVED pouncing on them and gobbling them up! for those of you who want another healthy way to get calcium into your girls, TRY these.

calci worms are petco's phoenix worm. they come in a small tub of soil filled with the nutrients they need. you do NOT refrigerate them. if they are teensy, just leave them on a shelf for a few weeks and they grow to 20 times their size, and then are perfect to feed. i would highly recommend this... i am so glad that i discovered this because i was going to give up on these worms!

the people at petco do not know about these worms growing up, so don't ask them, just get them and wait!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

SWEET! I actually grabbed some of them the other day even though they were so small. It's good to know that they'll get bigger!!
    ~Tarah~

MY Myspace

3.3.4.2 Cresteds ~ Stubby, Olive, Taz, Blondie, Tears, Cookie, & Da Babies!
    2.1.0 Dogs ~ Chayton, Kenai, & Mika
    0.0.1 Fan-Toed Gecko
    0.0.1 Golden Gecko (FOR SALE!)
    1.1.0 Sugar Gliders ~ Lilo & Stitch (FOR SALE!)
    1.1.0 Parakeets ~ Tweety & Clyde (FOR SALE!)
    0.0.1 Pirahna
    1.0.0 Gray Dutch Rabbit ~ Bugsie

Thanks

If you keep them under the right conditions (as it appears you have) they'll turn into flys too - I've only had it happen once, but it is something you want to be aware of!

Thanks

whew! thanks, i wouldn't want that!
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

I looked at Petco today and they had "super worms" and when I looked in there they were super all right! They were probably over an inch long and about 1/2 as big around as a pencil. I couldn't really imagine my cresties eating those so I passed. How do I get the smaller calci worms?
    Mary

Thanks

your petco may not carry them. they may be a new petco product... i approached our petco manager and asked him to order them, and he did. they are called calciworms. they are phoenix worms. you could probably find them on line as well.
    5.7.15.4 crested geckos
    2 corn snakes
    2 labs

Thanks

I think I'm going to request to a few Petcos in my area that start carrying Caliworms. I've scoped out every store in the area and none of them have been selling them yet.

I tried the same worms marketed as Phoenix worms and I was pleased with the results. Many of my geckos seemed to love them so I think I'm going to try incorporating them into my normal feeding schedule. I bought about 600 small worms, fed some of them off to my hatchlings and juvies and I'm saving the rest to grow for my adults. I can't believe how quickly they grow! They were about the size of fruit fly larvae in comparison when I first bought them and they really took off after a few days of letting them sit.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~