Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: leopard gecko help

Thanks

Talking leopard gecko help

Hey all.. I'm new this forum so hopefully someone can help me...

Just recently I purchased a leo from the local pet store.. I had one a few years back but was unable to care for it at the time. I've done tons of research and know almost anything you could ask about.. except..

Mynah (arabic for love-since she's OUR first pet) is about 4-5 months old.. so far by the looks of it "It's a girl".. she curls up in her moist cave all day and eats at night.. I really want another.. but if I was going to get another I want a male for the future.. hint hint... the question is... Do you think that its a bad idea to put them together at their age... or gender? Should I raise them seperately? Or put them together and hope for the best? I found a great male .. hes about 2-3 months and he's so cute!!! Should I get him?? And as soon as I get my internet up tomarrow I'll have tons of pics..

Can anyone help me??

~Jess~

Thanks

Most definitely need to raise them up separately until they are both of breeding size and weight. If they begin breeding too young, your female could get very sick or even possibly die.

Gonna have to be patient. There are lots of "cute" leopard geckos out there, so if you don't want to raise up 2 babies, then just wait until your female is old enough and then go buy an adult male.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

Thanks

Talking thanks..

O I definitely want to raise two babies.. Just wasnt sure if it was safe to put them together.. thanks for the advice..

Thanks

Uh could you tell us a little about your leopard gecko keeping aparatus?
    Over 35 animals owned, scaled, furry and just plain crazy.

Thanks

Keep them separate, as stated. Once they reach the age and weight for breeding, you can keeping them together, but make sure to separate them every few months or the male could over breed with the female.
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

Kazzy's Kritters

My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

Thanks

Talking

Well right now mynah is in a 10 gallon tank I have repticarpet at the bottom of her tank with vita-sand on top.. a heat mat on one side of the tank and a 40 watt bulb looking down on the warm side which is usually between 85-90 she has a cave on the warm side which i keep moist towels in it there is also a log on the warm side (which the crickets seem to hide under) .. on the cool side there is a more decorative log that she seems to use as her "feeding log" and then i have a small water bowl which neither her or her food can drown in.. she seems to stay in her cave all day and eats at night when we turn her light off... we take her out like once a day and let her crawl around a little.. and often about twice a week we dust her food and about once or twice a week give her a meal worm... yummy...

i love talking about my little mynah cant wait to put some pics up tonight!

Thanks

if i were you id ditch the vita sand its been known to cause problems,, i just use reptile carpet so you should be fine just using tht
    MARC GARCIA

3.1.2 crested geckos
    0.0.1 gargoyle gecko
    0.0.1 angulated day gecko
    5.3.0 leopard geckos

Thanks

What kind of light do you have? And ditch that sand, its potentially deadly.

Thanks

Default ..

I'm currently just using a 40 watt light bulb shining down in her cage... I wasnt too sure about the sand.. I know that sometimes it causes problems .. although the last gecko i had .. was in sand.. and still is currently .. even though hes not in my possession.... the pet store was using the vitasand... so i thought id try it...guess it was a bad idea...

Thanks

Toss the sand, switch to a uth(under tank heater/heat pad), keep the bulb for maybe daylight only. White light is basically harassment to your geckos as they are noctournal and do not appreciate the extra shinyness. If you insist on keeping a white bulb, at least get a good one that provides d3 so its helpfull, and use it only during the day.

Or an infared or moonlight bulb or ceramic heater bulb which can be used constantly. Since you say you shut off the light at night do you have another source of heat? Leo's can go down to low temp's of 65-75 but its not good for them to have constant fluctuation. A uth is better for digestion and also can be left on at all times with a temperature regulator( http://www.reptilesupply.com/index.php?cPath=30_74 ) as can one of those previously mentioned non daylight bulbs.