Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Leachianus "hybrids"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haroldo View Post
    I was talking with an old school friend of mine a while back and he said something about bloodlines that got me thinking: What he does with distinct "lines" is keep breeding them back to one's of the same line. There's no reason to assume bloodlines are started from single animals or even a few; but this is the case with some leachie "types". So if relatedness was minimized (Like breeding grandfather to granddaughter), some level of genetic diversity could be maintained (at least in the short term). When you reach a level of genetic defect in offspring, you have truly pure bloodlines to cross with. So brief summation: Gather several animals representing what you'll rightly consider separate bloodlines (assuming founder stock is W.C. or F1). Controlled breeding will result in animals from distinct (and separate) "lines" producing animals from that same genetic pool, until genetic defect arises. At that point, you have viable options for crossing the line with another pure line, without involving other localities. What we have done (at least from what I can see) is immediately cross different lines of animals to strive for unrelatedness when that is not the true goal...but rather genetic "soundness" and reproductive vigor- something not guaranteed in breeding "unrelated" animals. That said, it's too late in most instances to turn back the hands of time in terms of breeding efforts, but this idea of controlled line-breeding did have me thinking...

Does this make sense?

Interesting, it does make sense, I mean if you think about it most of these leachianus probably got to these islands by a small number of animals getting stuck there as seas rised, or a few animals floating over there on a tree.

This could be applied to numerous species as well. What I find interesting is how some species seem to be able to handle the limited gene pool, while others such as the Blue Iguana (which have been breeding amongst themselves for millions of years) when mated with a sibling don't produce fertile eggs. So I just wonder if some of these species have evolved to deal with the limited gene pool.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin

Thanks

I think what's going to happen is that we are going to have to eventually cross the different locales together to keep them going. There is a very limited gene pool on most of the leachie types, and it's only a matter of time before we start having problems(if not already) with production, fertility, vigor, etc. Josh