Thread: Southern NY Herping

Thanks

Default Southern NY Herping

Despite the forecasts predicting VERY hot weather (mid 90s), my friend Dave Prada and I decided to go out early Saturday morning and do some herping. At first seeing all the haze and muggy weather overall, made us dissapointed and were thinking it may not be a great day...But boy were we wrong! We took multiple stops at three places to have a look around so I will show photos in that order.

First Stop
    Not 10 minutes in, we flipped this very blue racer.
    Black Racer

Shortly after, we flipped another racer.
    Black Racer

Second Stop
    In this spot we had layed down some AC months earlier so we went to flip the boards. First flip...
    This guy was so small it was difficult to get decent photos.
    Red Belly Snake (Lifer)

Then something very exciting/neat happened. We had just gotten done flipping all the boards we put down. Dave mentions, "This rock ahead is where I caught my very first timber rattler." Just as he was finishing up that sentence, it was quickly followed by, "OH! THERE IT IS!!!". Sure enough I looked over an over hanging rock and spotted my very first timber rattlesnake. It was neat because in the exact same spot, and quite possibly the exact same snake, both Dave and I saw our first timbers...just 7+ years apart. Unfortunately the snake was in a tough spot for pics and only got one decent one before it slowly slithered deep underneathe the rock.
    Timber Rattle Snake (Lifer)

Third Stop
    Already satisfied with the day, we made one last stop which was our main one. To continue on with the great luck we were having between the Red Belly and my first Timber, within a short distance we spotted this brute of a black rat. This big old snake has seen many a days. He was around 6 feet and beat up. However, between missing the tip of his tail, chunks missing out of his back, numerous scars, a strange looking head, and cataracts in both eyes, he was doing pretty darn good.
    Black Rat Snake

While photographing that big chunker, I happened to look over to the side for a quick second and something caught my eye. What do you know, a racer just basking out on a rock not 30 feet away.
    Black Racer

We walked a little while more and suddenly heard a rattle. I quickly looked down under a rock and there was momma and babies! Mom quickly moved deep out of site under the rock and the babies soon followed. I was able however to get a shot of one and of another while it crawled under the rock as well.
    Timber Rattle Snake

Eventually it just got too hot for the snakes and we were exhausted from the heat and sun as well. On the way back down we passed many toads so I decided to stop and photograph one.
    Fowler's Toad

So that was my day of herping in Southern New York. It was quite eventful as you can see, with a few lifers. We found a few more timbers but they slithered out of site before I could get my camera out for pictures. A five lined skink was also seen scampering around on some rocks. While driving to and from, we also saw a couple DOR's. I really had a great day out herping today! I will leave you with the total for today.
    5 Timber Rattle Snakes (3 with babies)
    3 Black Racers
    1 Black Rat Snake
    1 Red Belly Snake
    1 Five Lined Skink
    TMTC American and Fowler's Toads
    1 DOR Black Rat Snake
    1 DOR Water Snake

-Adam
    2.2.6 (+ many eggs) Crested Geckos - Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    2.2.0 Hogg Island Boas - Boa Constrictor Imperator
    1.1.0 Ackie Monitors - Varanus Acanthurus
    0.2.0 Ball Pythons - Python Regius
    2.2 (+ many eggs) Corn Snakes - Pantherophis Guttata
    0.1.0 Sonoran Gopher Snakes - Pituophis catenifer affinis
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragons - Pogona Vitticeps
    1.0.1 Rankins Dragons - Pogona Henrylawsonii
    1.3.0 Leopard Geckos - Eublepharis Macularius

Thanks

I really enjoyed your story about your field herping trip. The pictures are great as well. It's amazing when you come across a Timber just out in the open like that. We have a good number of them around here as well. It must have been awesome to see a mother with her babies.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

Yes, you wrote that up nicely. I had a good time reading it as well. Some of those pictures are awesome too. Where abouts in southern NY, if you don't mind me asking. I'm just wondering since I live north a bit. Catskills?
    -Wilson
    0.0.1 Garg
    2.2.0 Cresteds
    1.0.0 Columbian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.0 Blue Crowned Conure
    1.0.0 Black lab

Thanks

Nice Finds.

Thanks for sharing
    Renato

Thanks

Thanks all! Its such a rush finding something like a rattle snake. The excitement is addicting thats for sure haha! Wilson, I wish I could tell you more than just "Southern New York" but because there are timbers which are rapidly dissapearing in this area, I just cant give away the spot. Sorry. Anyways, once I have another really good herping day I'll make another post.
    -Adam
    2.2.6 (+ many eggs) Crested Geckos - Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    2.2.0 Hogg Island Boas - Boa Constrictor Imperator
    1.1.0 Ackie Monitors - Varanus Acanthurus
    0.2.0 Ball Pythons - Python Regius
    2.2 (+ many eggs) Corn Snakes - Pantherophis Guttata
    0.1.0 Sonoran Gopher Snakes - Pituophis catenifer affinis
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragons - Pogona Vitticeps
    1.0.1 Rankins Dragons - Pogona Henrylawsonii
    1.3.0 Leopard Geckos - Eublepharis Macularius

Thanks

Ah, I didn't put that into consideration! I'd have to agree then.
    -Wilson
    0.0.1 Garg
    2.2.0 Cresteds
    1.0.0 Columbian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.0 Blue Crowned Conure
    1.0.0 Black lab

Thanks

Good to hear Timbers are still thriving up there

I have caught a few around here in the mountains, looks like you guys gad a good trip though.

Weird how both black racers were in shed at the same time.
    Derek Dunlop
    DDReptiles
    www.DDReptiles.net
    Croc's Rule- Steve Irwin