Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 20

Thread: a very blue crayfish

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Beautiful! Crayfish are so much fun. I've kept a BUNCH. Usually caught them to keep for turtle food though. I'll be getting some once winter is over.
    Oh, Groovy, here's a care sheet- http://www.bluecrayfish.com/north_am...h_care_she.htm
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Bronx NewYork
    Posts
    39
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Thank You
    Lou
    0.1.1 Crested gecko

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dreadford, OR
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ReptileChick View Post
    Beautiful! Crayfish are so much fun. I've kept a BUNCH. Usually caught them to keep for turtle food though. I'll be getting some once winter is over.
    Oh, Groovy, here's a care sheet- http://www.bluecrayfish.com/north_am...h_care_she.htm
    Thanks for posting that, you saved my Crawfish.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Posts
    3,726
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    No problem at all!
    3.6.3 Crested Geckos
    0.0.1 Bearded dragon
    0.2.0 Marbled Crayfish
    0.0.1 Axolotl
    1.1.0 Cats (Lightbulb and Paperclip)

    Kazzy's Kritters

    My iHerp Page
    Middle TN Exotic Pets Club

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Manchester By The Sea, MA
    Posts
    1,722
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    I love crayfish. Last year I accidentally bred a pair of blue crayfish and a friend of mine took the offspring to raise up. They were absolutely adorable and most were brilliant blue from the get-go. The mom would carry them all around with her until they were old enough to free-swim.

    I've kept a lot of aquatic inverts in the past. My absolute favorite though has to be the marine "peacock mantis shrimp." They are considered to be a pest species for with marine aquarists, but more recently they have been kept and respected as individual pets by many hobbyists in more recent years.

    While they're in a classification of their own in the crustacean world, it's like owning a super intelligent and brightly colored crayfish. Mine would beg for food and watch the nearby television for hours, he was very comical. Their intelligence rivals that of an octopus (which I've also kept in the past) and they can see better than most creatures. They have the potential to inflict a painful and powerful wound with their "smasher claws" if you're not careful when working around them, but by far they have been my favorite invert to keep as a pet. Anyone who loves aquatic inverts should seriously look into owning one somewhere down the road.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Good Ole' Nutley, NJ
    Posts
    1,079
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Mandy - I'm jealous of you. I've wanted an octopus for years now, but don't have the time/skill/patience to maintain one, or the tank it would need. :sigh:
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Manchester By The Sea, MA
    Posts
    1,722
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pestisperamor View Post
    Mandy - I'm jealous of you. I've wanted an octopus for years now, but don't have the time/skill/patience to maintain one, or the tank it would need. :sigh:
    They're really interesting pets, but they are incredibly hard to keep. They also have a very short lifespan even when kept in ideal conditions they only live about a year to three years tops. I admit my boyfriend was in charge of keeping him/her though, I'm not even absolutely sure what the latin name was on the one we had, it was his little project for awhile. They're such neat creatures, they beg for food and will usually play with it before eating it. We used to throw feeder shrimp in and he'd grab them all and thouroughly look them all over and play catch and release games with them like a cat. The minute prey items were thrown in he'd go from a dull tan-gray color to instant dark, bold stripes. He also liked to watch TV, probably because of all the visual stimulation.

    My old workplace used to randomly custom order blue rings once and awhile for people which I hated carrying. I used to talk people out of ordering them because many times people went by their appearance, not understanding how potentially deadly they can be. I also didn't like working with them and didn't want to risk getting bitten or putting someone else in that danger. They're absolutely gorgeous to see up close though.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Good Ole' Nutley, NJ
    Posts
    1,079
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Blue rings are probably the prettiest octopi (octopus'?) I've seen...I love their coloration. Sometimes people don't get it, though. Beautiful things in nature with bright colors are often warning of something more dangerous...like poison. lol

    Even the common octopi (whatever the pluralization is...jeez) are gorgeous. I love their color changing ability, their intelligence, and their quirkiness. I'm still a little obsessed with the idea of keeping a salt-water tank and throwing in some crazy, exotic species, but due to the fact that I'm not independently wealthy, I don't think this will happen for quite some time. I'll stick to turtles, geckos, snakes, and my cat and dog.
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Dreadford, OR
    Posts
    102
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pestisperamor View Post
    Blue rings are probably the prettiest octopi (octopus'?) I've seen...I love their coloration. Sometimes people don't get it, though. Beautiful things in nature with bright colors are often warning of something more dangerous...like poison. lol

    Even the common octopi (whatever the pluralization is...jeez) are gorgeous. I love their color changing ability, their intelligence, and their quirkiness. I'm still a little obsessed with the idea of keeping a salt-water tank and throwing in some crazy, exotic species, but due to the fact that I'm not independently wealthy, I don't think this will happen for quite some time. I'll stick to turtles, geckos, snakes, and my cat and dog.
    Get and setup a tank. Later, throw in an eel or octopus or something. Get the tank cycled and maintain the water parameters for a while...

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Good Ole' Nutley, NJ
    Posts
    1,079
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarra View Post
    Get and setup a tank. Later, throw in an eel or octopus or something. Get the tank cycled and maintain the water parameters for a while...
    I would definitely love to. Unfortunately, I also happen to live in a 2nd floor apartment and have nightmares about large aquatic tanks falling through the floor into my neighbors living room due to the weight of them. lol
    .megs.
    Proud slave to...
    //R.ciliatus.auriculatus.leachianus//P.regius//E.guttata//T.carolina.triunguis//F.catus//
    I'll meet my match when I'm dead. - Steve Irwin

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •