Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a very blue crayfish

Thanks

Default a very blue crayfish

I don't know if you bug people like crustaceans, but I thought I'd see if anyone was interested in what I've got here. I've seen a few of these in their burrows, but I actually found this little guy while looking for salamanders (under the same log as a big Pseudotriton, double score). One of my professors does a lot of crayfish research and asked me to hang on to it for him, but he never has picked it up so I guess it's mine now.

I'm surprised how tough it is-I've kept it alive in a deli cup with minimal maintenance since June. Apparently it's a Cambarus dubius which is a variable species across its range, but in my particular corner of WV they are solid blue. Anyway, here are a few pics.

This is one of the adults at the mouth of its burrow (they get pretty big):

Here's the little guy...or girl:

In case there are any crayfish enthusiasts here, these are a few others I've come across while herping (no idea what kind they are).

Thanks

That blue one is cool. I've kept crayfish before but not for a long time. I like them best boiled and dipped in butter.
    ~Waldo is a girl~

Thanks

That is a beautiful crayfish! I love these guys. We had one that climbed the aquarium filter, disappeared, and we found him mummified under the couch like four months later. I haven't kept one since.
    Help! Crested Geckos! 0.1.Leachie, 2.1.1 Gargs, 1.0 Chahoua, 2.1. Blue Tongue Skinks, 1.1. White Lined Geckos, 1.3. African Fat Tails, 2.2.0 Tokay Geckos, 1.0. Giant Day Gecko, 2 tarantulas

Thanks

I've seen blue crawfish (under the name "Blue Lobster) for sale at a local petstore for $40 a piece.

Right now I have a crawdad in an aquarium, along with 2 red claw crab and a fiddler crab.

Thanks

Very cool My largest I ever kept was about 5" long his claws alone were about 1 1/2". There really cool. mine acctaully drew blood a couple times.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matt s View Post
    Very cool My largest I ever kept was about 5" long his claws alone were about 1 1/2". There really cool. mine acctaully drew blood a couple times.
    Doesn't surprise me. Even the small ones can if they really try, then again, I was stupid little kid then.

Thanks

I have a blue crayfish. He is awesome. Around 3 1/2" now, got him about a few weeks ago. He's already molted once as well.

Thanks

That is very cool!!!! I was parking cars at the local concert hall and I looked down and a blue crayfish was crawling on my pants so I brought him back to the marsh.
    John Barkowski
    1.0.0 Ice/Sandfire Bearded Dragon
    0.1.0 Beagle Terrier
    0.1.0 Toy Chihuahua
    Unless we act now to stop illegal trade, we will eventually find only a dust bowl, emptied of all its forests and animals.

Thanks

would any of you owners of these little guys happen to be able to give me a care sheet or maybe some info to get me started? i have a 10 gal bow front with no fish in it, im pretty much just filtering the water right now, it was home for a single betta but he die 2 days ago. i plan on cleaning it out and puting 1 blue crayfish in it.
    Any help would be great.
    Lou
    0.1.1 Crested gecko

Thanks

They're teh same as regular crawfish, I believe.