Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 29 of 29

Thread: Nooby Snake?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, United States
    Posts
    2,240
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 117 Times in 66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by krnggangpe94 View Post
    With the temp gun, I have to measure subtrate temperature right?
    Another excellent and accurate option is an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe. You can get one that measures humidity too for about 20 bucks at any k-mart. This will tell you the temp at your hot spot or hide and your ambient temp on the cool side at the same time. Mine also keeps a record of highs and lows so I can make sure the cage doesn't get too cool when the temp in my house drops at night.

    For the person who is feeding their snake every four days.... Just because a snake CAN eat every four days doesn't mean they SHOULD. I wouldn't feed a large snake more often than once a week, and when they get older and less active, feed even less. Obesity is becoming a major problem in companion animals, and snakes aren't exempt!!

    Anyone who feeds their snakes (colubrids not included) every 4 days is trying to put as much weight on as quickly as possible for breeding purposes. There is no other reason to feed a snake that much, and even that isn't a good reason in my opinion.

    If your snake is refusing food, you need to take a moment to make sure your husbandry is good. Your cage is awfully minimal for an aquarium. That sort of setup would be fine for a tub or other cage, but with that much open space and a lot of handling, a young snake is bound to get stressed. If the cage is in a high traffic area, it only makes the problem worse. A stressed snake won't eat, and since you're new and your snake is new to you, I'd be VERY careful about preventing stress in your new boa.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,675
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Misskiwi67 View Post
    Another excellent and accurate option is an indoor/outdoor thermometer with a probe. You can get one that measures humidity too for about 20 bucks at any k-mart. This will tell you the temp at your hot spot or hide and your ambient temp on the cool side at the same time. Mine also keeps a record of highs and lows so I can make sure the cage doesn't get too cool when the temp in my house drops at night.

    For the person who is feeding their snake every four days.... Just because a snake CAN eat every four days doesn't mean they SHOULD. I wouldn't feed a large snake more often than once a week, and when they get older and less active, feed even less. Obesity is becoming a major problem in companion animals, and snakes aren't exempt!!

    Anyone who feeds their snakes (colubrids not included) every 4 days is trying to put as much weight on as quickly as possible for breeding purposes. There is no other reason to feed a snake that much, and even that isn't a good reason in my opinion.

    If your snake is refusing food, you need to take a moment to make sure your husbandry is good. Your cage is awfully minimal for an aquarium. That sort of setup would be fine for a tub or other cage, but with that much open space and a lot of handling, a young snake is bound to get stressed. If the cage is in a high traffic area, it only makes the problem worse. A stressed snake won't eat, and since you're new and your snake is new to you, I'd be VERY careful about preventing stress in your new boa.
    I completely agree. I was debating about saying something - did not want to be accused of being rude but there are far too many people out there that are feeding their snakes far too much food and far too often. My RTB is right at 3 feet long at 1 year of age, and I actually just saw her breeder again at the reptile show who said that is a great size for her to be. There are people that post pics here that take excellent care of their other animals, but they have 5 - 6 foot boas at yearling age which is just ridiculous. In fact, on this very forum, I had to request that a thread of mine be deleted because I was all but accused of starving my snake at a once weekly feeding of the size rats she was on at the time - even though I had pictures to prove she is of excellent weight.

    It seems that the goal with snakes - for many people, not all - is to powerfeed and get them as big and fat as possible, I guess for more of a "coolness" factor? Just because a healthy snake may act like a garbage disposal does not mean it should be treated as such.

    The new person may not know, but unfortunately there are many out there that do know better and do it anyway because the snake "seems" healthy.

    Regarding the new boa that is not eating...it is not normal behavior for a RTB to not eat. The fact that she's refusing meals indicates that she's either not hungry (feeding too often), not warm enough to digest her food properly, or more likely totally stressed out. There's a fine line between handling often to keep them tame and handling too much early on and stressing them out. I'd give your new snake some time to settle in before handling her much more than a couple times a week.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    100
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    So for a feeding regimen with a corn snake how often and how many food items would you feed according to these ages:
    Juvie-
    Sub-adult-
    Adult-

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    379
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Here's something to think about on the topic of feeding boas [specifically]. Eugene Bassett once said, "Boas grow more when they dont eat." Take a second...think about it. Like I mentioned above, boas are SLOW GROWERS. Yes, they will usually eat any given meal offered, but shouldnt.

    Krnggangpe94- For baby corn snakes, if the heat is kept high, I would feed babies every five days up until theyre past taking fuzzies. After that once per week is fine. Unless of course you keep them pretty hot, thus speeding up their metabolism (but that is a more advanced topic...temps vs metabolism and digestion/feeding).


    -Adam
    2.2.6 (+ many eggs) Crested Geckos - Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    2.2.0 Hogg Island Boas - Boa Constrictor Imperator
    1.1.0 Ackie Monitors - Varanus Acanthurus
    0.2.0 Ball Pythons - Python Regius
    2.2 (+ many eggs) Corn Snakes - Pantherophis Guttata
    0.1.0 Sonoran Gopher Snakes - Pituophis catenifer affinis
    1.0.0 Bearded Dragons - Pogona Vitticeps
    1.0.1 Rankins Dragons - Pogona Henrylawsonii
    1.3.0 Leopard Geckos - Eublepharis Macularius

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wil19b85 View Post
    Oh man this is getting better and BETTER! MY Mom also is not fond of snakes! Well she wasn't beforehand.

    Also make sure you do a lot of research before making a purchase, so make sure that if you want a cornsnake then you check some caresheets. I would suggest googling it.

    As for heat sources, it really depends on the type of snake that you get. When I purchased a few of my cresteds I bought a heat pad to go under their tank (they are housed in pairs still because they are only juvies) and I purchased one that was a bit to small then what I wanted. I bought one for them in the first place because it was early spring and still quite cold.

    So I salvaged the small one and for now am using it on the bottom of my snakes 20'' long tank with a heat lamp as well. I'll have to buy a larger one when I buy a larger tank in about 6 months to a year because he will get to big for this tank! From what I've read most snakes should have a cooler and warmer section in their tank mainly because they are cold blooded animals and without the heat source they will get crabby, stressed and it can have an impact on their eating. Because of this I have my heat lamp on the same side of the tank and the heat pad.

    I don't think a basement would be bad at all. However is it a finished basement or just a standard concrete floor, cinderblock walled basement? Is it dry year round? Mold? Mildew? If you have the space I would suggest keeping him possibly in your room? Thats what I'm doing.


    Not having a window in the basement shouldn't be a problem. You should never put him in direct sunlight anyway.

    And as for care sheets for cornsnakes ... no clue. I'm sure you can easily find some though.

    ***EDIT***
    I myself have a question to anyone else who reads this. It's only been about 4 days since I fed my boa and according to http://www.redtailboas.com/general_c...eral_care.html
    they said feeding every 4 days is fine. So heres my quesiton: Since he doesn't seem to be interested with the F/T mouse I have so kindly provided, should I toss it or can I possibly save it by just tossing it back in a ziploc and back in the freezer? My initial feeling is just toss it but I would hate to waste it... As for now I'm going to toss this one because I don't have a response and it can't do any harm. But for future reference that would be helpful.

    hey nice rtb.... put some branches or sticks...when they are babies they like to hang on the branches and get closer to the heat lamp... they look like mini gtps, when they do that. hehehehe..


    great snake!
    HerpJunkie.com
    Busy running Herp Junkie, Inc.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    153
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IndyCrestie View Post
    I completely agree. I was debating about saying something - did not want to be accused of being rude but there are far too many people out there that are feeding their snakes far too much food and far too often. My RTB is right at 3 feet long at 1 year of age, and I actually just saw her breeder again at the reptile show who said that is a great size for her to be. There are people that post pics here that take excellent care of their other animals, but they have 5 - 6 foot boas at yearling age which is just ridiculous. In fact, on this very forum, I had to request that a thread of mine be deleted because I was all but accused of starving my snake at a once weekly feeding of the size rats she was on at the time - even though I had pictures to prove she is of excellent weight.
    i totally agree with u, and in my opinion there isnt anything wrong with feeding them 1 mouse a week. I know breeders who feed their snakes every 3 days, because they want them to get bigger, so they can be ready for breeding season. which i think is ridiculous. but different breeders, different methods.

    5-6 ft boas at yearling is neglect.... i understand that when they are younger, they are suppose to eat more often. but not as much that they grow so fast.

    if a person wants a bigger snake, it's better to cough up the extra money in buying an adult snake, than feedin it like crazy.

    thats my opinion at least..
    HerpJunkie.com
    Busy running Herp Junkie, Inc.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    387
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Default

    Hey thanks guys for the info. I would never want to "power feed" anything that I am in control of taking care of. Thats awful in my opinion. Also once a week feeding is fine. I was only doing once every 4 because I thought that was the right thing to do .

    Yes I still have to get two hides for my Boa. I just need to drive out about a half hour to do it and I have been INCREDIBLY busy this past weekend with the exception of late night things. The local pet store really doesn't have any hides that I think are suitable so I was thinking I can get out to home depot and buy something and there is a PetCo AND Petsmart within a quarter mile of that so thats definitely a plus and I know they have some really nice branches and plants that I can put in.

    Also just so everyone is aware, when he refused the F/T I gave him last night, that is only the second time I have fed him. The first time he snatched it up without a problem so I don't think he has any sort of eating problem.

    Adam: I put the tinfoil over the majority of the screen top. Is this the way that you wanted it done?



    Misskiwi67: I know my cage for him is minimal at the moment, my thoughts were when I set it up that way, that I would keep it like that until I had a chance to get out myself and make it more "homely". I thought I would be able to do it this weekend but it was definitely an abnormal one for me. Don't want to make up excuses but usually I don't work every second of daylight on the weekends but my boss was out of town and needed the extra help. Thank you though . Also I should add that the tank is not in a high traffic area at all and actually as far as open space goes... my room is pretty cramped so that really isn't a factor either. Increasing stress due to handling came to mind of course so I haven't been bothering him to much in the past 48 hours with the exception of trying to feed him last night prior to finding out I should be feeding him once a week. However I never really thought of the stress factor being increased due to his age. Never really crossed my mind and now that I think about it its kinda surprising I never thought of it.

    IndyCrestie: Don't hold back on giving advice to me! I always read what you say carefully because I find that it is often very helpful and full of information. I've yet to see someone completely disagree with anything you have ever said (except for the screen cage tops that I have for my cresties that I love so much ) so thats gotta say something right there!

    Rey: Thanks! I think he is so cool.
    -Wilson
    0.0.1 Garg
    2.2.0 Cresteds
    1.0.0 Columbian Red Tail Boa
    0.1.0 Blue Crowned Conure
    1.0.0 Black lab

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    3,675
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Default

    Sounds like you are on the right track.
    A righteous man does not need a law, and an unrighteous man cannot keep one.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, United States
    Posts
    2,240
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 117 Times in 66 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wil19b85 View Post

    Also just so everyone is aware, when he refused the F/T I gave him last night, that is only the second time I have fed him. The first time he snatched it up without a problem so I don't think he has any sort of eating problem.
    Keep in mind that he may have been comfortable the first time you fed him, but is now stressed enough to not be hungy... or he could just not be hungry.

    Either way, you won't know until the next meal, and your best bet is to assume the worst and NOT stress your snake until you're sure he's eating on a regular basis. These guys aren't puppy dogs, they're wild animals and should be treated as such.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •