Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "mite" problem

Thanks

well i don't think what i have are springtails because they don't jump, and they are more round than elongated as well. the thing is, i don't have any live plants in my tanks at all. but those sound like good suggestions to try anyway.

Thanks

I forgot to keep tabs on this thread, sorry I didn't update anybody. First of all, these definitely weren't springtails although my description wasn't detailed enough to rule them out (sorry about that). The mite spray didn't do squat to these things, they didn't even die when sprayed directly (which really surprised me). However, I washed the tank down with soapy water and it killed 99% of them. They seem to drown really easily, and the soapy water was particularly effective. I rinsed it out and let it dry and noticed just a few still left, which were easily dispatched after I wiped them down with rubbing alcohol. From there on out, I just kept everything pretty dry and haven't seen one since.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by warnersister_2000 View Post
    well i don't think what i have are springtails because they don't jump, and they are more round than elongated as well. the thing is, i don't have any live plants in my tanks at all. but those sound like good suggestions to try anyway.
    Same here. I wonder what they are ..?
    Olivia
    "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
    -stephen colbert's writers

Thanks

actually, they've gotten bigger and now i can see that i had them once before in my other tank. they popped up in the food dish. whatever they were, they weren't around for long and kind of disappeared on their own. they look like miniature sesame seeds. i wonder if they morph into something else...like the little black flies?

Thanks

They sound like wood mites, they come sometimes in bedding such as mulch, moss, ecoearth, etc. They aren't harmful to animals as they prefer the bedding over the pet. They are annoying however. If you continue having problems with them, everything will need to be baked in the oven before use, especially substrate.
    Lisa

60% of the time, it works everytime.

Thanks

Ive had those when breeding crickets from too much humidity- I looked it up and got images of the same mite- and they called it "Humidity Mites" -Shrugs-

Thanks

Default Probably a type of mite

I've had these in my snake cages, and they always seemed to swarm fresh poo, but always left my snakes themselves alone. I believe they came out of the bark I was using in my Brazilian Rainbow Boas cages. It freaked me out the first time I saw them, I thought that they were coming out of the snake poo, instead of swarming to it. I thought my precious snake had pooped a bunch of parasites!

I've had to battle these and actual snake mites a couple of times, and can tell you that most products don't really kill mites. I am in love with Provent-A-Mite, and since I've been using that, I haven't had any trouble with snake mites or those little white "sesame seed" bugs. I will also use Reptile Relief on the snakes themselves, but find it uneffective for the cages and cage furnishings.

I wanted to point out that the bug killer you used was likely not as similar to Provent-A-Mite as you might think. Just because it has the same active ingredient doesn't make it the same formulation. Not all Permethrin products are created the same. I've tried many different approaches to mites - garden center store bought stuff, home remedies (oils, soapy water, listerine), petstore stuff, online ordered stuff (the Provent-A-Mite), and even predatory mites. I've also heard that Black Knight is effective against snake mites, but have been extremely happy with Provent-A-Mite and haven't tried it. At the time that I was battling the mites Black Knight wasn't being manufactured, and Provent-A-Mite was. I use the Provent-A-Mite as a preventative, and haven't had any problems since.

You said the bottle said "Insect killer", and mites are not insects. They are actually arachnids (the same class as spiders). They're built differently. That's why many insect killers don't kill mites. Most people lump all "bugs" together - but arachnids and insects while seemingly similar are actually quite different. I've kept tarantulas for almost 10 years, so I have become pretty intimately familiar with the anatomy of arachnids. Also, in my past battles with snake mites, and then later spider mites, I've almost become an expert on the life stages of mites, and their weaknesses. Spider mites were proven to be the worst of the bunch, as they feed on the tarantulas, and both are arachnids. So anything that will kill one, will kill the other. I lost my whole tarantula collection that way - over 30 specimens. I haven't gotten back into it since. It was a long and slow defeat.
    ~Jenni
    6.8.3.13 Crested Geckos ~ 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos ~ 2.3.0 Columbian Boas (1 albino, 1 pastel, 2 aberrant, 1 rescue) ~ 0.3.0 Dogs (2 rescue) ~ 1.2.0 Cats (2 rescue) ~ 1.0.0 Extremely Patient Husband

Thanks

what about the walmart brand equate bedding spray lice treatment (0.5% permethrin)? i was told this was essentially the same as provent-a-mite.....it's used to kill lice, bedbugs and dust mites.

Thanks

Default Residual properties

I am not sure about that one. I suppose it depends on how similar lice, bedbugs, and dust mites are to actual reptile mites. The store bought items I've purchased are for household "bugs" and garden "bugs". Some even said they would kill spiders, but didn't do a thing to the mites I had.

I tend to think that reptile mites would have a thicker exoskeleton, and would therefore need a beefed up delivery system, but I am not sure. While I know all about reptile mites and their anatomy - I don't really know that of other similar mites. One of the things about the Provent-A-Mite that makes it so effective is it's residual properties. Many things out there will kill mites on contact, but will not kill eggs, or mites that are hiding. I mean, heck, I can kill an individual mite on contact *squish*, but the problem is the ones that you don't see right away, and the eggs. I don't think Provent-A-Mite kills the eggs, but kills the baby mites immediately after hatching.
    ~Jenni
    6.8.3.13 Crested Geckos ~ 0.0.2 Gargoyle Geckos ~ 2.3.0 Columbian Boas (1 albino, 1 pastel, 2 aberrant, 1 rescue) ~ 0.3.0 Dogs (2 rescue) ~ 1.2.0 Cats (2 rescue) ~ 1.0.0 Extremely Patient Husband