Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: **** **** bugs!!!

Thanks

Default **** **** bugs!!!

Ok I'm at a total loss and more frustrated than I can even start to describe. I had a tank that was over run with fungus gnats, I ended up having to tear the entire thing down. I recently remodeled one of my other tanks that was doing fine (I had to mess with a good thing ugh). I layered with just a thick layer of hydroton and a thick layer of organic soil (that I spent an entire evening boiling). Its been maybe two weeks now and it is starting to explode with these g** D*** BUGS. What am I doing wrong?
    1.0.0 Chihuahua (Coco Bear)
    2.0.0 Pit Bulls (Charlie & Cooper)
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks

you can try putting the soil in the freezer first for a week or so to kill the bugs. That might work.

Thanks

I did that too for about two weeks, with the soil and the hydroton. I think they are just out to get me
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks

are you using the same organic soil bag? may be the gnats are in the bag and you have to get a new one and start fresh.

also when you restart (again) the soil, try not putting anything in it for a few days. see if the gnats re-appear... if they do, it's the soil.

I hate to say it but another possibility are the roots of the plants you're using. if they have eggs, a thorough washing might work. but to be safe, I would get hydrogen peroxide (only $1 a bottle over the counter) and dilute it 1/10 with water and let your plant soak in it to kill off the eggs. if your plants are delicate, they may die but if they are the low-light sturdy type, they should be just fine

these are just a few ideas. I think the tough job is trying to find the source for where the gnats are coming from
    Crested geckos: 3.2.7 and 10 eggs still incubating (Adults: Cinamon - female, red with white fringe; Vanilla - female, yellow tiger with dalmation spots; Lemon - female yellow-cream brindle; Pepperoni - male, red and tailless; Banana- male yellow creamsicle)

Thanks

It is a brand new bag of soil, but the plants I over looked... maybe they are the culprit. I guess I'm going to have to start over.. again.

Silly me and all my high maintenance pets, haha.
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks

I have the SAME problem with organic soil!! Did you get it from Home Depot?? We're probably using the same bags from the same lot! The gnats were in my cage for about a month.. it was a pain, but I just opened the cage a lot and they can't fit through the screen so they couldn't get back in to breed. I opened it about once a day, and I swear after a week they were all gone.. weird, but I'd give it a try.
    Olivia
    "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
    -stephen colbert's writers

Thanks

I have been vaccuming it every couple hours so hopefully that will work, stupid gnats. haha
    0.1.2 Crested Geckos

Thanks

I knoooowww they're SUCH a PAIN!!
    Olivia
    "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
    -stephen colbert's writers

Thanks

-reminder to self-

Don't use organic potting soil from Home Depot.
    I am the lizard king. I can do anything.

Runic Reptiles

Thanks

Hi. I hope you don't mind me adding my two cents here. But it may not be an issue with the soil you bought. Well what I mean was that the soil it's self is fine. But if you had a couple of lingering gnats in the house. They could have found their way into the new tank. Laid eggs and just started a new cycle there. Just an idea.

Anyways, best of luck getting rid of those things. I hate them so much. I gave up growing carnivorous plants because I just couldn't get rid of them all. No matter how hard I tried, those gnats just seem to come back and they were driving everyone nutty. It's the reason I've never tried making a natural set-up for my cresties. I fear the same thing will happen with it and I'll have to tear it down as you did.