Thread: mp3 question

Thanks

Default mp3 question

I finally broke down and bought an mp3 player. Since I'm a little older than your typical dancing down the street ipod wearing stereotype, I need a little guidance. Other than the big names like Napster and such, where are some good places to download music? Are any of the free sites reliable? I am so afraid of downloading some horrible virus along with my music. Thanks!
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults
    1.0 husband with 30+snakes

Thanks

Last time I'd heard, "free" sites that distribute songs you would have to pay for in a store are generally considered illegal, so I'd be careful asking about them on a public message board so you don't get busted.

(Many will argue "Everyone does it," but it helps to be cautious.)

You should be able to rip your regular CDs right into a format your new machine can handle using whatever software came with your player.

iTunes has never given me viruses, and they offer occasional legal freebies... while a lot of the free music sucks, sometimes they have good stuff. And you can listen to previews of songs before you buy them. I'm not sure what kind of player you have though, and I don't know how compatible iTunes is with non-Apple players.

Thanks

Thanks. I don't like the idea of napster's subscription thing but the "free" limewire and kazaa type allow people to download off my computer if I'm reading that right and that is just not going to happen. I guess I will have to keep looking. Yeah, I know I can use my own cd's but I don't buy many cuz of the old like one song and hate the rest thing that makes the mp3 so great. I can raid my husbands though...off to search through his stash.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

Kazaa has bundled viruses. I use limewire, in itself there are no viruses and only download .mp3 .mp4 and .wma cuz .exe is a virus most of the time. Also download aquadock if you have windows, its cool

Thanks

You have to be really careful when trying to get "free" music. I'm sure I don't have to tell you this but getting it for free is illegal. If you don't use the P2P (peer-to-peer) applications like Limewire and Kazaa correctly you're likely to be contacted by the Recording Industry's lawyers and those "free" songs could cost you up to $750 per song (although the settlement is usually much less). You're smart to not want to share the songs as this seems to be the way that the RIAA finds people.
    -Matt-
    http://www.gotrhacs.com
    9.15.13 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Leachianus (Isle C)
    1.0 Rhacodactylus Chahoua (Pine Isle)
    0.1 Pogona Henrylawsonii

Thanks

Yeah, I'm totally turned off the whole Kazaa type sites all together. Too many risks and horror stories for me. I know free is bad but I thought those were ok. My dad (total techie!) used Kazaa but after I thought about it, it was before all the lawsuit stuff. Anyway, I'll check out the normal sites and find one that suits me.
    Suzanne
    8.12.10 Crested Gecko
    0.2 Gargoyle Gecko
    1.0 Bearded Dragon
    1.1 cats
    1.1 dogs
    1.2 humans, subadults

Thanks

allofmp3s.com 15 cents each and legal

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptillion View Post
    This is an old article, and I don't know how accurate it is, but:

Allofmp3.com is one of many internationally based download sites that the U.S. and several other countries are trying to close down. Music labels and movie studios say that such sites are not authorized to sell music and don't compensate copyright holders.
    Wiki has an article too, but I dislike using wikipedia as a source for anything :P

As in anything, it is probably safer just to spend the money to get things legally so a) nobody comes around to fine you later and b) you're not giving your credit card number to someone who may or may not be legit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by reptillion View Post
    allofmp3.com is not legal.
    -Matt-
    http://www.gotrhacs.com
    9.15.13 Rhacodactylus Ciliatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Auriculatus
    0.0.1 Rhacodactylus Leachianus (Isle C)
    1.0 Rhacodactylus Chahoua (Pine Isle)
    0.1 Pogona Henrylawsonii