Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner crested help

Thanks

Default Beginner crested help

Ok, I have owned various herps in the past and kind of got out of it, but now i plan to go to college for biology and herpetology so i got the bug again . I plan on buying a 5-6 week crested from pangea reptile, and have read about as many care sheets that i could find. I just wonder a few specifics they werent very clear on, lighting for one, and calcium or vitamin supplements. If anyone could share what they use and where they ordered them from would help me alot. I would also like to know about the best place to order feeder crickets, I live in western kansas, and if a aprox. 14x8x12" kritter keeper would be large enough to hold as many as i need to order at a time. Any help with this would be very much appreciated and help setting up a comfortable home for my new crested .

Thanks

FOR THAT AGE OF CRESTED U WANT TO GET 1/4' CRIX DUSTED WITH CALCIUM WITH D3. CRESTED'S DO NOT REQUIRE ANY SPECIAL LIGHTING AND BE SURE NOT TO PUT HIM INTO H A CAGE THAT IS TOO BIG. AND CLARKS DIET FOUND ON THE PANGEA WEBSITE HAS ALL OF THE OTHER NUTRIANTS A CRESTED WILL NEED.

Thanks

Welcome JLeo,

I feed my gecko T-Rex crested gecko diet. You dont need to feed crix at all with this diet. If you are going to feed crix I would suggest to just find some where locally for your crix since cresties dont eat that many crickets.
    Go Big Or Go Home

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, will the gecko take to the t rex crested diet right away? And for the calcium and d3, i read that too much d3 can harm them, and where is the best place to order this and the t rex diet. Also, it can get cold here in the winter so would a small wattage bulb be necessary?

Thanks

You will get mix reactions on if the gecko will take it right away or not. Some do some dont, but for me I have not had any problems with it. A good place to buy supplies and food I would suggest reptile depot or lll reptiles. You can use a small wattage bulb or a heat pad to heat your tank.
    Go Big Or Go Home

Thanks

Ok so all i need to feed him is the t rex crested diet, and calcium with d3. My other question is would a aprox. 12"x12" cylinder shaped cage hold a 5-6 week crested, and at what age would I need to upgrade it?

Thanks

Anyone help me out with the cage size? It was a hermit crab cage, and is about 12"x12" cylinder shape. Would it be too small? and at what age should i upgrade him to a larger cage?

Thanks

Umm, those hermit cages are usually made out of 1/8" wire. That won't hold any humidity or crix. is it a plastic one? A large kritter keeper will do the trick handily for a while.
    "Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight;
    You gotta kick at the darkness 'till it bleeds daylight....."
    --Bare Naked Ladies

Thanks

Thank you, I'll buy a kritter keeper. As far as the t rex crested diet, does it come with calcium and d3 already in it, or do i need to add it.

Thanks

You dont have to add anything to it. One part diet, two part water and thats it.
    Go Big Or Go Home