Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok... not reptiles, but.... B. orientalis

Thanks

Default Ok... not reptiles, but.... B. orientalis

Matt, can we please have an Amphibian Section?

I went to pick up a few Superworms for my growing Tokay guy... a little variety for him.. and someone abandoned these 3 little Fire Bellied Toads there. I need another tank in my house like I need 2 more eyes, but you know me... sooo.....

After close inspection of health and what not, I decided to rescue them from the horrible blue and white fish gravel, glass blob, turtle deco... inch of water with FILTH built up everywhere...

..and transform their little tank into this

It's not great cuz they could use some more space, in my opinion, but it will do for now. I do have to reseal the water section.. I noticed this morning that the filter outlet is spewing a few more bubbles than I intended and it's due to the sprung leak, apparently.

I used plants I had around the house... a rooted sprig of variegated "wandering jew", a tiny sundew, some C. aequitriloba (a shade loving ground cover with teeny little lavendar flowers), and some moss that I've cultivated myself (to avoid nasty bugs and such). The water portion has a few river rocks and a piece of driftwood with attached Java Moss for "rafting"

I hope to clear out some space soon... so they can get a nice 30 long or better... maybe even a few friends. There's 2 boys and a girl, from what I can tell. The good thing about all of this... their appetites are very healthy and they're getting some of their green back (They were nearly black.. which is from poor diet and/or stress).
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

The colors willo get brighter as they get a complete diet including vit. A precursors. Or at least it should reach it's full potential.

Have you seen them walk along the bottom of the water looking for food yet?

Thanks

Oh cool! Thanks for letting me know about their color. I supp'd with TriCal and Herptivite multi's last night... but I didn't see any underwater walking, nope. Then again, I fed them a few crickets..... I'll have to try something that will sink like blackworms or something.

Any suggestions?
    "Be who you are, and say what you feel. Because those that mind don't matter, and those that matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Thanks

Not sure. I was just told that Bombina can walk along the bottom and suck things in. You'll see they are primitive frogs. They have a "disk" tongue right?
    They always seemed to prefer on land things for me.

Herpivite has vit. A precursors. You can also just gutload with some carrot and squash too. I mean there is a limit to how much they will brighten though. Though some stay dark.

Your set-up actually looks fine and it's better then the water and gravel these things usually get. Once your plants grow in they should have fun hiding in them.

Thanks

Okay.. that's cool. I gutload with all kinds of veggies, including carrot and squash so they should be good. I'm already seeing bright green patches on the 2 boys and the girl is a lighter "brown" between the black variegation, so hopefully it's more stress related.

The caresheet I got off of www.amphibiancare.com mentions waxworms, silks, earthworms and black worms as occasional food items in between the majority feeding of crickets. I'll look into it more, though.

Thanks!
    ~Aminah

Thanks

They'll typically eat anything they can land or water. Some even take nonmoving food although that stuff fouls the water.

The one thing to watch for is if you have lots of males and one female because as you feed you'll notice the males will get more frisky.

Post some more frog pictures later. I'm a fairly big frog/toad fan.

Thanks

Okay... got a good ol' scare that my ancient digital was dying on me again, but it has a little life left...

Here's the color change for the day... well, so far....

You can see the bright green on this one's back and starting to come in around the legs... it generally gets better as the day goes on

This one is not showing any bright color yet, but he's not black anymore so I'm hopeful that it will begin to come in.

This is from yesterday actually... showing off the "ancient toad fighting stance"

My little Sundew... hopefully it will survive in here. The various mosses are really thriving in just the short time... yey!

I'm still trying to focus better... not much I can do with a point and shoot.. sorry!

Thanks

To focus better see if there's a macro option . . .

Cute little guy.

Thanks

The FBT's have names now... Churchill is the one you see often practicing his "toady fighting stance" in the corner.. Josephine is the female chunker.. and the little fella with the bright green spot of color on his back is Patch, aka. Patten.

Today, I found Patch atop Miss Josephine and I'm wondering how prolific these little toads actually are. Anyone know? If I start to see eggs, will it be terrible for me to scoop them out and dispose of them.. to avoid an overpopulation of FBT's in my house? Or is there a better way to avoid this... besides keeping strictly same sex?

Thanks!

Thanks

Lots of breeding behavior, but I think they are seasonal enough you shouldn't get eggs without cooling, but I don't remember honestly.