Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dead gecko

Thanks

Default dead gecko

The other day when I was spraying down the geckos I noticed that my geckos tail was underneath his tree and looked very odd. My heart fell when I lifted the tree to find my gecko dead. I'm am horribly upset as he was only two years old and just contributed to making the cutest little baby ever. He is kept on a mulch type substrate and fed CGD. He has a water bowl and is sprayed down twice a day. When I found him he looked to be twisted kind of funny and his mouth was gaping open. Also his eyes were so sunken in that they were barely noticeable. He looked as if he had been dead for weeks but I know for a fact that it couldn't have been more than two days. I would also say that he looked severely dehydrated but I don't understand how this is possible with a full dish of water at all times and being misted twice a day. What could have killed my gecko so fast. I take very good care of my animals and pride myself for always knowing when one of them is ill. I just don't understand what could have happened. Oh and he was housed alone except fot about three months ago when he was with my female for two days. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I sure am going to miss the little guy R.I.P. Chomper. Some pictures of when he was a baby:

Andrea

Thanks

Unfortunately, there is no way to answer your question. We have most of us lost geckos unexpectedly, and the way you describe his appearance is pretty much the way dead geckos look, regardless of cause. Don't be in a big hurry to blame yourself. These little ones just do up and die sometimes. Several months ago, our fearless leader and forum owner posted a lament to the unexpected loss of one of his best female breeders. A year or two ago, I lost a young adult crested gecko and one of my favorite female gargoyles for no apparent reason.
    ~Alan

"You know, one of the hardest parts of my job is to connect Iraq to the war on terror."
    President Geo. W Bush in an interview with CBS News, Washington D.C., Sept. 6, 2006

Thanks

He sure was a beaut! I'm sorry he passed

Thanks

i am so sorry for your loss.

my only guess is impaction, but the only way to know that would be to do a necopsy.
    ANYTHING SAID HERE BY ME IS JUST MY OPINION, PLEASE DON'T TAKE IT PERSONALLY.

2.3.0 crested gex
    1.0.0 appaloosa horse
    1.1.0 jack Russells
    1. husband

Thanks

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you. Like Dr. Alan said, sometimes we don't know why.
    Gecko Mommy
    7.7.24.4 Eggs Crested Geckos
    1.1 Dogs
    2.2 Cats
    1 Husband
    1.2 Great Offspring

"A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors, the men it remembers" John F. Kennedy

Thanks

My sympathy goes out to you. ;_; I'm very sorry for the loss of your gecko.
    ~*~*Mandy*~*~

Thanks

Sorry for your loss, glad you have one of his offspring even though it's not the same as having him.
    Olivia
    "...Because what's more efficent than doing nothing?"

"...Doing nothing in a Hybrid?"
    -stephen colbert's writers

Thanks

I'm so sorry...

Thanks

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Dee

Thanks

So sorry to hear of your loss. RIP Chomper.
    Lydia
    Kept by a veritable plethora of rhacs and other critters
    www.sandiacresteds.com