PDA

View Full Version : Corn Maze??

Cicada Hollow
11-20-2006, 08:54 AM
Gotcha!!

Well, s/he is not a real corn maze but a corn named Maze! I finally have drifted over into the wonderful world of cornsnakes! We adopted Maze, who is about a year old. S/he was purchased at Petco by the original owner. (I wasn't aware that Petco requires their snakes to be defanged?) And hubby was comfortable bringing him/her home, so wa-lah! I was worried at first that s/he might not switch to f/t without a fight (they were feeding live) but s/he gobbled the first one down like there was no tomorrow and has been eating f/t since. We have him/her housed in a 20 gallon tank w/ aspen shavings. I don't feed him/her in the tank and remove at feed time so there isn't a risk of impaction. We've really enjoyed Maze and I'm thrilled we had the opportunity to add him/her to our family!

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL816/4365215/10069554/205603542.jpg

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL816/4365215/10069554/205603540.jpg

http://pic17.picturetrail.com/VOL816/4365215/10069554/205603551.jpg

Enchanted
11-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Ooooh, what a pretty baby!!! Do you know if he/she is a dark ghost or a light anery?

I don't know anything about Petco possibly "defanging" snakes, I've never heard of that. But corns don't really have fangs anyway. They do have teeth . . . and if they bite you they can leave a nasty scratch . . . but no visible fangs.

Good luck with your baby, corns are wonderful pets! :D

peublan
11-20-2006, 10:12 AM
defang? What the heck? Someone correct me if I am wrong but, To the best of my knowlege venomus snakes are the only ones with fangs and the will regrow them. The venom glands can be removed but the snake then just dosen't look right due to the sunken spots in it'd head. Coulbrids have teeth and can scratch you up pretty good but I have never known one to do much damage to a person ( I have been struck countless times over the last 12 years by a number of them from hatchlings to 6ft adults). I think that once again the under informed large chain pet store employee has struck with missinformation that increased sales.
I am glad that you are enjoying your new edition snakes, are a lot of fun!
Dale

ReptileChick
11-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Wow, looks like the wild caught snake I used to have. But they called him/her a rat snake...but he/she looked EXACTLY like that snake. Weird...he/she was caught in Smyrna TN...any idea if it could have been a corn?

IndyCrestie
11-20-2006, 12:16 PM
I wasn't aware that Petco requires their snakes to be defanged?

Uhh...they don't. Pretty corn. :)

cornsnake
11-20-2006, 02:33 PM
very nice anery a, why petco would have you defang a corn is odd.. reptilechick the snake you most likely had was a black rat snake. good luck with your new corn.
corey

ReptileChick
11-20-2006, 02:54 PM
That's what I was told. I miss that snake, but I gave him to my friend because she was really wanting one.

Cicada Hollow
11-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Maze is an anerythristic, the first posted photos just make him/her look lighter. Regular pic below.

As far as the "defanging" I'd not heard of that either and didn't believe the gal when she told me. But, I did open Maze's mouth (carefully) and take a look and sure enough, no fangs. Guess it really doesn't matter. Maze has the eating down pat and thinks s/he needs to eat every other day, lol.

http://www.cicadahollowcrestedgeckos.com/resources/_wsb_498x553_Snake+a.jpg

ReptileChick
11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
I don't believe those have fangs. Do they?

cml3.0
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Very nice Dorothy!!!! She reminds me of one of my favorite snakes :D Anerys are my favorite out of all the corns (I know I know not exactly up there in the corn world).

She is a beauty and I look forward to meeting her :)

Cicada Hollow
11-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Katie...I'm told that they have little bitty teeth, but it sounds funny when you say teeth with a snake, lol.

Christa...I may not know alot about snakes, but I DID research before I considered adding a snake to my family. Don't fret, Maze just lives in his/her enclosure. One of the things I asked before adopting, was where Maze was fed. I didn't want to deal with possible impactions. When it's time to eat, we removed from the enclosure and go into a feeding tub, add frozen / thawed mouse and WAH-LAH! Instant gratification for Maze. :D

We're working up to the bigger mice, but right now I'm enjoying the one on one of feeding her every other day. She enjoys her fuzzies and I'm enjoying watching her eat and poop! Not that I like poop, but I like that she's pooping, lol.