PDA

View Full Version : Blood or Woma

jtmoney
03-10-2008, 04:58 PM
Decisions Decisions! Trying to pick between them.

Thoughts?

Comments?

Misskiwi67
03-10-2008, 05:10 PM
What is your experience with large constrictors? Ever taken a hit from a large python? Are you prepared to handle a pissed off 20 pound snake? Do you have an appropriate setup for a snake that needs good hides, high humidity and exact temperatures?

If so... bloods kick ass!

jtmoney
03-10-2008, 05:16 PM
Well in the gecko room it is 70-75% humidity. 77 During the day 72 during the night. Obviously Id use a UTH on its tank) Yes Ive taken a bite from a 9 foot burm :D So takin a bite is no big deal. Ive been hisssed at by so many large red tails and burms it doesnt bother me. I can make whatever size tank that I want and cage requirements arnt a problem.

What do you think Kiwi? Do you have AIM/MSN?

Misskiwi67
03-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Misskiwi67 on AIM...

77-80 is what I would consider for the warm side... My blood maintains her body temp at about 74 degrees, and spends 90% of her time on the cool side of the enclosure... They're not a heat-loving species like most snakes... so your gecko room might be a bit warm actually.

Peter_Alexander
03-10-2008, 06:01 PM
Woma 100%

Womas are a naturally docile snake. They are impressive, easy to care for, and beautiful. Bloods are nice look snakes too, but definatly woma.

AneesasMuse
03-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Just get BOTH!! :D

I say this cuz these are two of the most wanted on my "wish list" and I can never justify NOT having both in my collection someday.

jtmoney
03-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Thanks everyone!!! More opinions welcome!!!

rey
03-10-2008, 09:56 PM
WOMA! HANDS DOWN....

can't go wrong with such a beautiful specie of snakes. Bloods are okay, but they get huge. But that's just my opinion. Some like large snakes.

pjdviking
03-11-2008, 02:13 AM
I had bloods!! Emphasis on the had. I have Woma's!!!!! I am an experienced snake handler and have a dozen species in my collection and about 60 individuals. I had bloods for about a year and got tired of having to psyche myself up to deal with them. I was very happy to get rid of them and put the space, time and energy towards something I could actually enjoy. My Woma's on the other hand are a joy to take care of. The eat readily, are like handling a 6 foot piece of wet spaghetti, and are very tolerant of changes in there environment. If it weren't for the size (not exceptional) I would consider them a perfect beginner snake!
Pete

SCB
03-11-2008, 03:47 PM
Do your research, get the enclosure set-up before and enjoy. I am one that has to have 2-3 of everything so I enjoy each for their own uniqueness. Bloods do get big, but if you hand-pick an individual you will be fine. Anything with teeth bites and I have a knack for getting bit (almost always my own fault). For the record, I've been bitten by my womas and my Bloods alike and the only difference is the pressure of the jaw; besides that Bloods let go quick and my womas like to hang on for the ride!

BlueClover
03-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Definitely a blood! Those are the next on my list!

jtmoney
03-12-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks everyone. Well Im starting with a very young snake so the enclosure will be an aquarium for now. Ill build my own for when it gets of size and Im the same way. I have to have pairs of the reptiles that I get. Im leaning towards a woma because they stay a little smaller in weight but Im not sure yet.

Beantown Reptiles
03-12-2008, 03:34 PM
Ahhh! A person after my own heart. Pairs of everything is so much better, except I feel like Noah's ark. Can't wait to get a female ball python for my buddy Linc. The only thing holding me back is $$$. Isn't that always the case. Let us know what you decide.

jtmoney
03-12-2008, 04:09 PM
Well I mighnt just get both. But I think I am going to start with Woma's ...

Jchandler
03-12-2008, 09:16 PM
My woma is nice sometimes :-\" There are those other times like the killer feeding response they have when young, I tend to think of him as the pitbull of my collection:D

jtmoney
03-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Really, Ive heard the opposite for every person I have talked to about Woma's. Ive heard they are very docile and very laid back.

pjdviking
03-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Like any snake, when young they can be a little aggressive. It's a defensive mechaism that they quickly grow out of with handling.
Pete

jtmoney
03-13-2008, 12:21 PM
Yeah I know ... Ive dealt with a TON of young snakes with attidues and when they get a lil bigger they are fine.

bleeding_sarcasm
03-14-2008, 05:37 PM
leachies!

I am just going to say that on every forum i see this on hahaha :P

SCB
03-15-2008, 12:27 PM
There are those other times like the killer feeding response they have when young

I agree. My womas have a strong feeding response as well. The little guys will literally launch their whole body head first at food. It is a feeding response (which is good IMO) so it shouldn't be confused with aggression or bad temperament.

jtmoney
03-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I have heard about the feeding response and why they have it, I find that very good too. Would rather have an easy feeding snake then something I have to "beg" to eat

pjdviking
03-16-2008, 11:34 PM
They grow out of the feeding responce very quickly. Mine rarely even constrict anymore.
Pete

jtmoney
03-17-2008, 02:44 PM
They grow out of the feeding responce very quickly. Mine rarely even constrict anymore.
Pete

Get off my thread Pete! :-\" (kidding)

So they just have a very good feeding response as subadults?

SCB
03-18-2008, 03:45 PM

My pair of Starburst phase adults have the response and will nail me if I open up the tubs quickly with out giving them a nudge with the snake hook. However, they only get handled for cleaning purposes as I have a very large collection. In addition, I have 1.4 sub adults that do have more of an intense feeding response so they probably do mellow out somewhat as they mature. I am a breeder so not all mine are pets even though I do have my favorites (antaresia and B.C.amarali) which get the interaction.

Koda
03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
I say Woma 100% as well. We love our Womas. It's funny I always hear people say that they are aggressive as well, but in my experience they aren't at all. We have had ours since they were little and they have never been aggressive and when we feed F/T they just come to it and slowly take it from the forceps.

My experience with Bloods have been the opposite however. All the ones I have worked with have been very aggressive, but I do think they are beautiful.

It's all in a persons own opinion. I'm sure you will be happy either way.

Our Blood
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/druknirishman/Misc%20Snakes/Babalu3-1.jpg

One of our Womas
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/druknirishman/Woma%20Python/Lana1.jpg

I love Womas they have a ton of personality if that's possible.

jtmoney
03-19-2008, 11:24 AM
I have a pair of Woma's comming from Barry Miller :D

Koda
03-19-2008, 06:47 PM
Awesome!! Congrats!

SCB
03-20-2008, 11:55 PM
You can't go wrong with Barry's animals and I am sure you will be quite pleased! I have been wanting a pair of his Suri's for awhile now.

jtmoney
03-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah hes a great guy and is working with me! Awesome guy to work with! I def recommend him to anyone.