PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Help!

Jazz1
03-03-2008, 06:22 PM
Hey guys...I just went in and noticed my male BCI trying to pass this... what is this? Anyone have any suggestions? I've never seen anything like this, we just got him the week after Christmas. We've fed him 6 times, the first time he regurged, and since then he has held down everything until this....

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/druknirishman/2pic.jpg
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y204/druknirishman/1pic.jpg

IndyCrestie
03-03-2008, 06:25 PM
yikes - hold tight for someone more experienced, but I'd venture an educated guess that what you're seeing is some kind of prolapse, and will likely require vet care.

For now, I would put him in a small cage with NO bedding, only soft towels or something of the sort, so no future pieces of bedding get stuck. I'm not sure if it would be a good or bad idea to try to carefully remove what's already stuck. I would be inclined to try to remove the pieces if the snake wasn't stressing too badly and possibly making the situation worse.

jtmoney
03-03-2008, 06:30 PM
I dont know that man that is pretty nasty ... blah!

BlakeDeffenbaugh
03-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I'd say put it in a cage with wet paper towels on the bottom and keep it warm. I could probably use like a saline solution to spray what you can off and the saline is sterile so it will do little harm if any. And DEFINITELY get it to a vet ASAP.

zephyr
03-03-2008, 07:03 PM
It's a rectal prolapse, and a pretty gnarly one at that......definately needs a vet visit asap. For right now, you can try soaking it in highly concentrated sugar water - it will help draw out some of the fluids and reduce the swelling. That should also help remove the stuck bedding. A prolapse that bad will not likely retract on it'd own, and will need surgical intervention and a couple sutures to keep the tissue in place while it heals. If it's not addressed immediately the tissue will start to dry out and could go necrotic - keep it moist and lubricated with a water-based lubricant like KY jelly until you get it to your vet.

Jazz1
03-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Thank you guys for the help.

I called a local breeder and he told me exactly what you just said, Zephyr. So right now he is on moist paper towels and i'm misting. I rubbed Polysporin on the flesh, and I'll soak him later in the sugar water. I am going to call the vet first thing in the morning to get him looked at. Thanks again.

Thank you guys for your quick response.

mtnkngxt
03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Definetly place it on warm wet towels. You need to get to the vet as soon as possible also remove any heat lamps to avoid it drying out. I would mist every few hours and soak him at the soonest possible time. I had this happen to a baby ball python I had and these things helped him survive until he got to the vet the next morning.

zephyr
03-03-2008, 07:54 PM
Great - just make sure to have a discussion with your vet about what may have caused the prolapse in the first place (did you have a fecal done after the regurge, are you keeping him warm enough, are his prey items too big or meals too frequent?), and proper long-term aftercare, to make sure it doesn't reoccur :)

And make sure you keep the prolapsed tissue moist, but don't keep him on really wet towelling or mist too often....too much moisture will create an even higher probability for infection, since it can be a breeding ground for bacteria. You can try to use some preparation H instead of the poly/neosporin as well if you have some - it can also help bring down the swelling in some cases.

Jazz1
03-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Well nothing really has changed in his stuff.

After the regurge I changed his substrate, and waited a week before I tried again. I went down a size in mice and have been giving him one a week. (Just barely about a fuzzy mouse). I put dividers in between his tank so that he had no distractions. When I attempted to feed him again I placed him in a rubber maid and left him in with a FT mouse for a couple hours.

His temps are around 86, he has access to plenty of fresh water.

Hopefully the vet will be able to fix him up and he will be okay. Keep your fingers crossed for us!!

Thanks again,

joshua
03-15-2008, 07:19 PM
looks like a prolaps of his rectum if this ever happens agine try taking a spoon put some powder sugar and add a little water until it makes a paste then appy it to the area ( hinney) and it makes the skin pull back in if its not to late by that I mean the skin is hard and dose not look nice and pink or like a sore red. But this case I would say take him to the vet.

SCB
03-18-2008, 03:50 PM
I had this happen with a rescue boa back in the day and the cause was internal parasites. Just like everybody else said, if necrosis doesn't set in then you should be good, but the vet will have to suture the tissue to the abdominal wall to correct. It did cost me a bundle, but it is the responsibility you accept as a pet owner (still sucks). Let us know how this goes for you.

Koda
03-18-2008, 07:22 PM
We took him to the vet and he had surgery. The vet told us it was caused by some form of bacteria that is common among boas. He is now being tube fed and is on Baytril. He is improving and the vet seems to get more optimistic every week. His next appt. is on Tuesday for another tube feeding and to get the sutures removed, so I will update again then.

SCB
03-20-2008, 11:40 PM
He is improving

Glad to hear it!

Jazz1
03-20-2008, 11:44 PM
Thanks Nate!

He is still on Baytril and passed some food w/o swelling or redness....HOPEFULLY...she will continue to improve...Another Vet check on Tuesday though. :)

How are the little Coastal's doing?

SCB
03-20-2008, 11:53 PM
How are the little Coastal's doing?

Feisty as ever, although, they are starting to clam down nicely. I have kept back way too many so more are going to the local shows here in Michigan. My girlfriend always laughs at me when I separate a group of babies and explain which are going to stay here! I have had no room for additional specimens for awhile, but always manage to sneak a rack or a cage in here or there.

Rob Taggett
03-21-2008, 08:35 AM
My girlfriend always laughs at me when I separate a group of babies and explain which are going to stay here! I have had no room for additional specimens for awhile, but always manage to sneak a rack or a cage in here or there.

OMG isn't that the truth..... I'm with you on that one Nate..

Rob