PDA

View Full Version : Awful

ReptileChick
01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
So, I work at a pet store...earlier last week a woman bought a baby ball python from us. She came in today to get a mouse to feed, and our frozen mice have not come in yet, and all we have are live (I know...I hate it too). She asked if the mouse would harm the snake, and I told her there was a possibility and that it is also very painful for the mouse and told her she could get a live one and kill it before feeding buy putting it in a bag and hitting it really hard on a hard surface. She didn't want to do that, and asked me to. This was my first time doing it, and I felt awful! I didn't hit it hard enough the first time, so he was still moving around so I had to hit it again...and again...it was horrible :cry:

Emma318
01-15-2008, 11:58 AM
I know how you feel. It IS hard to kill the little suckers. I volunteered at the National Zoo for a while at the reptile house - awesome experience, but when we fed, we had to actually hold their heads down and lift up sharply on the tail. Total dislocation of the spine, instant and painless - except if you did it wrong. Don't ask. And it never gets easier in my opinion. Just one more reason that I only feed F/T for my personal collection.....

IndyCrestie
01-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Just for future reference....I would've just skipped that weeks feeding. Snakes can go quite some time between meals, so I'd recommend she just wait next time if you want to avoid this.

AneesasMuse
01-15-2008, 02:15 PM
I have to agree here... wait until the F/T comes in or go elsewhere to get it... yikes!

I have a problem feeder here and thought at some point that I may have to feed her "brained" pre-kill.. umm.. yeah! ...so I made arrangements for someone else to kill the food for me.

Call me a wuss, if you want...

ReptileChick
01-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I said she could wait, explaining that they can go a while without food, but she wanted it then and I couldn't say no.

SCB
01-15-2008, 07:58 PM
I used to breed many colonies of rats in the past and try "thumping" multiple full-grown rats! It is really disturbing! I only deal with frozen/thawed now unless I have babies that are problem feeders. I try to steer my customers away from feeding live for many. many reasons.

pestisperamor
01-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Uggg...I'm sorry you had to do that! I always had a problem with that when I fed live, and it was especially hard when my boyfriend was in Florida for a few months...because he's the one who used to handle that part. I think that's when the idea, and execution of the idea, came in to feed F/T.

cml3.0
01-16-2008, 12:34 AM
Ugh, yeah I really hate doing that too. Nate I feel ya! I had to "thump" jumbo rats one time for a customer. I broke the bathroom sink... I won't tell you the rest of it...
I help out a reptile store (my friend owns one), all we hardly ever have is live. The stupid people around here only want live. So, most of the time when feeding ours in the store I pre kill all the mice (usually 20 or so)before feeding. Fun fun...

My snakes only eat f/t thank God!

ReptileChick
01-16-2008, 08:46 AM
I always suggest frozen/thawed mice, always...thank goodness our shipment of frozen mice comes in today.