PDA

View Full Version : Into lizards - but just got a hognose!!

freckstheleopardgecko
12-23-2007, 07:06 PM
First snake, little scared, but love him

Meet spike

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/freekygeeky/Snake/spikefour.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/freekygeeky/Snake/spikethree.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/freekygeeky/Snake/spiketwo.jpg

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc71/freekygeeky/Snake/spikeone.jpg

GoGo
12-23-2007, 07:55 PM
Such a cute little face.

cml3.0
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
I love hogs! Their face is adorable, and it looks like yours has a bit of red to him :)

Saille
12-24-2007, 12:35 AM
That is the cutest little snake ever! I love Hognoses. . . and he has gorgeous colour! :)

pestisperamor
12-24-2007, 04:47 AM
It's definitely okay to be a little apprehensive when owning a snake, but that's such a cute baby...so whats the fear?
I've got a 4.5ft ball python...she scares me a bit by size alone, but she's gorgeous. I'm fine handling her, but I let my boyfriend take her out initially because I know that my fear might translate over to her as insecurity and/or opportunity. The thing you need to remember is that, regardless of pet or not, they still have the ability to act as they act in nature. Just respect that, don't be afraid of the creature itself.

I wish you the best of luck. Gorgeous snake and wonderful coloration. Learn all you can from these people...and use that knowledge in dealing with such an amazing creature! :)

freckstheleopardgecko
12-24-2007, 08:09 AM
Such a cute little face.

hehe thank you

freckstheleopardgecko
12-24-2007, 08:10 AM
I love hogs! Their face is adorable, and it looks like yours has a bit of red to him :)

yea loads of ppeople say that he is quite red :)

freckstheleopardgecko
12-24-2007, 08:10 AM
That is the cutest little snake ever! I love Hognoses. . . and he has gorgeous colour! :)

hehe thank you

freckstheleopardgecko
12-24-2007, 08:12 AM
It's definitely okay to be a little apprehensive when owning a snake, but that's such a cute baby...so whats the fear?
I've got a 4.5ft ball python...she scares me a bit by size alone, but she's gorgeous. I'm fine handling her, but I let my boyfriend take her out initially because I know that my fear might translate over to her as insecurity and/or opportunity. The thing you need to remember is that, regardless of pet or not, they still have the ability to act as they act in nature. Just respect that, don't be afraid of the creature itself.

I wish you the best of luck. Gorgeous snake and wonderful coloration. Learn all you can from these people...and use that knowledge in dealing with such an amazing creature! :)

thank you so much.. i held him today and yesteday and it was fine :)

im just worried beacuse people said if he bites me he will chop on me to give me his venom (sp) sacred... but having said that he seems so cute hasnt hissed or been aggressive in anyway .. and is slow which is great!! lol.. just as long as my OH gets him out of the viv i am fine :)

AneesasMuse
12-24-2007, 11:47 AM
Very cute Hognose.. beautiful colors! :D

They are rear fanged, as I'm sure you are already aware, so if you ever get bit... very unlikely... it will almost always be a "dry bite" and nothing to worry about. Enjoy him.. be respectful of him.. and that's it! Snakes are awesome!

Adam105
12-24-2007, 12:52 PM
Beautiful male, red phase Western Hognose. Great beginner snakes and are just awesome overall. Nice one...
-Adam

DDReptiles
12-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Hognoses are just so cool, I used to have a few easterns, they were jet black. But I gave them to someone else as I had trouble catching frogs evry week to feed them.

Awesome Western though, they are a lot better captives than easterns and such cool snakes.

freckstheleopardgecko
12-24-2007, 01:56 PM
Very cute Hognose.. beautiful colors! :D

They are rear fanged, as I'm sure you are already aware, so if you ever get bit... very unlikely... it will almost always be a "dry bite" and nothing to worry about. Enjoy him.. be respectful of him.. and that's it! Snakes are awesome!

hehe thank you,, will keep you all updated on him

pestisperamor
12-27-2007, 04:17 AM
Just make sure you are slow and deliberate in the handling. Never approach the face with any quick movements, nor the periphery of it's vision. Also, be sure your hands are clean and do not smell like any kind of food item (including people food.) Those are your best bets as far as general handling goes.

I've had the luck of the draw as far as Delilah goes. She's only struck at my sig. other. once, and that's because his hands smelled like the frozen rat he'd been handling in preparation for feeding, and she was hungry. She's never struck at me, and actually, she got out of her tank for a while (before we switched to lid locks and were just weighing the lid down instead) and came back to us. She's a sweetiepie, so easy to handle...I wish you the same luck with yours. :)

thank you so much.. i held him today and yesteday and it was fine :)

im just worried beacuse people said if he bites me he will chop on me to give me his venom (sp) sacred... but having said that he seems so cute hasnt hissed or been aggressive in anyway .. and is slow which is great!! lol.. just as long as my OH gets him out of the viv i am fine :)

freckstheleopardgecko
12-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Just make sure you are slow and deliberate in the handling. Never approach the face with any quick movements, nor the periphery of it's vision. Also, be sure your hands are clean and do not smell like any kind of food item (including people food.) Those are your best bets as far as general handling goes.

I've had the luck of the draw as far as Delilah goes. She's only struck at my sig. other. once, and that's because his hands smelled like the frozen rat he'd been handling in preparation for feeding, and she was hungry. She's never struck at me, and actually, she got out of her tank for a while (before we switched to lid locks and were just weighing the lid down instead) and came back to us. She's a sweetiepie, so easy to handle...I wish you the same luck with yours. :)

heheh thankyou.. havent got him out for 2 days now - as we fed him.. and was told to leave him for a bit - we'll see :)

hehe

had a bit of an emergancy with older leo.. so.. she is first :)

SCB
12-29-2007, 10:07 PM
Nice looking Hognose! I like the red phase, but I have only kept the Tri-colors.

freckstheleopardgecko
12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Nice looking Hognose! I like the red phase, but I have only kept the Tri-colors.

ooo hehe - thank you

Pete Zushin
01-02-2008, 03:35 PM
Yeah i wouldn't worry too much about a Hognose bite. As Anessa said, theyre rear fanged so would need to be left alone to really get their fangs sunk in and generally their venom isn't released for quite some time after they bite in. Plus, hognoses are the biggest actors of all snakes. Not only do they not open their mouths when they strike most times, they also also play dead if theyre really spooked. You can't go wrong with these guys as a beginner snake! Congratz!

freckstheleopardgecko
01-02-2008, 07:41 PM
hehe thank you
Yeah i wouldn't worry too much about a Hognose bite. As Anessa said, theyre rear fanged so would need to be left alone to really get their fangs sunk in and generally their venom isn't released for quite some time after they bite in. Plus, hognoses are the biggest actors of all snakes. Not only do they not open their mouths when they strike most times, they also also play dead if theyre really spooked. You can't go wrong with these guys as a beginner snake! Congratz!