PDA

View Full Version : Keeping them all in the same room?

Beantown Reptiles
11-14-2007, 10:01 PM
Hi Everyone,

I know a lot of you have more than one reptile. I'm wondering if you keep your cresteds, beardies and/or snakes in the same room? Like a herp room? Or do you keep the snakes away from everyone else? I have all my cages against the wall in a spare room. Now my son wants to get a ball python. I wonder if it's ok to keep it with the other reptiles? I know that beardies can react badly to the smell of a snake, since the beardies can be prey in nature. I don't want to freak my cresteds out either, too many tails to drop! I would like your feedback before I really screw things up.
Thanks!
Chris

Wil19b85
11-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I have all of mine in the same room and the garg and the two cresties in here don't seem to even notice my RTB. I would imagine its alright. I don't know about the beardies though. I know nothing about them so I can't really help you there.

Koda
11-14-2007, 10:16 PM
We have a "hot" room and a "cool" room. All of our snakes and beardies are in the hot room and they all seem fine with each other. All of our rhacs are in a different room because it's easier to maintain "room temp" conditions with no heat omitting products.

GoGo
11-14-2007, 10:22 PM
Most of ours, including cresties, leopard geckos, and mammal's are in one room, with our snakes and gerbils scattered throughout the house due to my bedroom running out of space in it.

AneesasMuse
11-14-2007, 10:42 PM
I have all my Cresteds, Tokays, Uro, Beardie, Cham, 2 snakes, Pacman, tarantulas, roaches, hermit crabs and my FBT's... all in the same room and they do fine.

I should add, I guess.. if my hubby was into my hobby more, there would be critters in every single room... but since he's not at all into my herps or inverts, they stay in one room. I do have a fish tank in my bedroom and there's a tank and 2 rattie girls in the livingroom, but that's as spread out as it gets for now :p

IndyCrestie
11-14-2007, 11:12 PM
All of mine are in one room currently, except for one 29g with my tokay, who is kept in the living room. No reason for that, it's just how it worked out.

My only issue is that I keep that room door closed because I have three cats. It gets awfully warm and stuffy in there with a 75g and 55g turtle tank creating humidity (the 75g has a topper for land area, so it's truely filled with 75g's of water). The upside to this is that the rhacs love the humidity without constant misting. The uro tank keeps the temps up bigtime since he loves his heat lights! lol

During the summer, especially, it gets REALLY warm and muggy in there. The animals love it, even the rhacs. I'm not quite as big a fan of it.

SCB
11-14-2007, 11:22 PM
Temps usually determine where everybody is located through-out the house. However, there isn't a room without reptiles and most are packed full!

I do keep my Frilled colonies so they are not facing any of the snakes as they will freak and get all stressed out. The male Frillies will spend all day flared-out hissing on 2 feet trying to intimidate the snakes. It will get to the point that they will bash their snouts all bloody so we avoid it.

Beantown Reptiles
11-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for you input! I'm glad I'm not the only one with a whole crew. :)

bleeding_sarcasm
11-17-2007, 11:13 PM
I have one room for everything, which is nice, because I dont have to heat any of my rhacs, ambient heat from the snake cages and leo racks make it about perfect ;)

pestisperamor
12-18-2007, 11:44 PM
I have everyone spread out, with most of mine in the living room due to space issues in general. My ball python is here in the computer room with me, and the turtles are in the living room. I'll probably wind up building a custom habitat for the cresties in this room underneath the ball python's stand. She's in a 55 long, so I've got plenty of room underneath her tank for whatever I need to put there. The cat meanders at will, the boyfriend does as well, and for the time being, the dog is with my mother at her house because we had a difficult time finding an apartment that would allow our cat, let alone our puppy.
Plus side is...I have two spare bedrooms. Heh. Maybe that's a negative...all that space...all that room for tanks...