PDA

View Full Version : Corn Feeding Problem

GoGo
09-22-2007, 09:12 PM
We have 4 cornsnakes, 2 of them are big boys(not really, bug theyre the biggest ones we have) and they get a fuzzie a week, and 2 of them are little things who get a pinkie a week. Weve had a problem with the little ones. Ever since we got them from petco(we got the others from a local store) and we were told they were eating all ready, they refuse to week.

We try it weekly, we try it on random days, we try heating them with hot water, heating them by spraying with hot water out a faucet, and heating them then nukeing them for extra heat and smell. Weve given them food in the cage(on paper towel cause theyre on aspen), food in a small container, food in a large container and food in an even larger container.

They will NOT eat no matter what we do, our other snakes eat like crazy pigs, these refuse to even touch the pinkies. And dont mention braining, we always manage to squish the stomach of 1 pinkie so theres guts everywhere, and they still ignore it.

What can we do?

MiNuRvA
09-22-2007, 09:40 PM
Have you tried tongs? My corn used to turn her nose up at f/t because they didn't move. I used to just get a long stick and sorta poke at the mouse to wiggle it around and that worked like a charm.

geickoJR.
09-22-2007, 11:55 PM
maybe there nervous? have you heard of the newspaper trick?

i thought this was cool because i saw another member try it and ive been itchin to try it lol

http://tinyurl.com/2cgnpg

Layla
09-23-2007, 07:25 AM
If they are together the first thing would be is to seperate.

Then leave them alone for a week. Check they have water but make sure their temps are ok. Leave them in the dark and dont touch them. Then try feeding them. Sometimes babies can feel harrassed when you try so many methods.
Feed them of an evening. Defrost the pinky in a cup of warm water and re heat again in warm water just before you feed. Dab them dry quickly with paper towel and then wiggle it in front of them with tweezers. If they dont take it after wiggling it you can gently nudge them on the side using the pinky a few times. About half way down the body.
Leave them with the pinky over night if they dont eat it when you have tried these methods. Do not handle the snakes at all unless you are cleaning them out until they are feeding.

If this doesnt work in a week try putting them, one each, in a deli cup somehwere warm over night with a pinky. Dont check on them till morning.

Make sure you have 2 secure hides at least in the enclosure and that the temps are correct (85 in the hot end) also that the enclosures are small! Not huge tanks. Small conticos or those clear shoe boxes are perfect for hatchlings.

Try getting snakes from breeders in future they tend to have feeding records and good aftercare rather than large pet stores.

4minters
09-23-2007, 12:48 PM
There are other tricks like lizard senting and something with ivory soap that I'll have to get details on from my husband all the way to force feeding and pinky pumps. If they (the snakes) are new to you, go with the pp on hides, letting them chill a while and all. If you want to try some of the deeper tricks, PM me and I'll get you some good details. Layla has some good info there though. Best to make sure you have happy calm snakes before you start or you could go through all the work to trick them to eat just to have them regurge.

Just to clarify, are you using frozen thawed (ft), live, or Pre-killed (pk)? It sounds like you are using ft since you mentioned warming them. If that is the case, you may want to try a live pinkie. You may have to wean them back to ft, but at least they'd get a meal in the meantime.

Let us know how they do.

deb
09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
I have 2 that are finicky eaters. For one I had to put a drop of tuna water on the pinkies head. (after I thaw it out in plastic baggie in hot water for 15 min.) We also use tongs. I only had to do that once and she has done it on her own ever since. But both of mine won't eat while we watch.( Our other snakes don't care who is looking, they snatch it from the tongs and munch! )LOL. We feed in deli bowls. I put them in their bowl and put the pinkie in and set them on my bed and cover the bowl with something so it is dark and quiet. Uaually they eat within 15 min. Good Luck.:)

KiKi
09-25-2007, 09:38 PM
we got one of the two to eat a live pinkie, the other was getting ready to shed and wouldnt eat,i know for a fact petco dosent feed live feeders so i dont get why they wouldnt eat the frozen ones gogo is my son

4minters
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Ok, that "gogo is my son" thing threw me for a minute. I thought gogo was the leopard gecko. I had to look back at the other posts. Duh, I feel like a dork! I'm back on the right track now...

I think of it like a potty trained toddler. Things are fine till something in the routine changes. As soon as you go on a trip or move or whatever, the kid's back in diapers. Same thing with frozen thawed mice. They will take them great until something bugs them. Then they quit. I'd bet that after a few meals and a little "down time" they can be switched back to ft in no time.