PDA

View Full Version : I am getting Burms!

bleeding_sarcasm
08-11-2007, 05:11 AM
And I am VERY excited! I just worked out a deal for a pair. This is the male, he is double het albino and green:
http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL443/918092/16474800/258518677.jpg

I havent picked out the female yet, but she is going to be green het albino 66% poss het granite. Ill post pictures when I decide which one, and then lots to come when they show up!

Thanks for looking!

4minters
08-11-2007, 11:57 AM
"I am getting Burms!"-Bleeding Sarcasm

Surely there is a cream for that!#-o

Sorry, couldn't resist! Pretty hot snake! Personally I am not a huge fan of the larger snakes. Something about the theory that they could eat my kids that I just can't get over. I love to see other peoples though! Should turn out to be a beauty! Share pics of the female when you choose her. Granite is my favorite. I actually considered one for like 90 seconds at a show.

CrestedLove27
08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
He's a lovely animal, congratulations! I remember when I was younger I had this obsession with burmese pythons. Once I got to work with them for awhile I realized they just get too big for me. I still think they're beautiful though. :)

bleeding_sarcasm
08-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Haha, Thanks. I love burms, and I have been playing with the idea for about 2 years before we finally made the plunge. My boyfriend has worked with huge snakes for years and years, which made me more comfortable about it. He wanted a retic, and I just dont think they are nearly as cute. I have handled my friends burms, and for me, the 10-14' range is pretty perfect.

I really like the granites, greens and labyrinths, and I like the albino versians too, but not enough to KEEP albinos haha, just produce them! Hopefully I will end up with a female that should prove out to be het for granite. Id be pretty bummed if she didnt :(

And I already breed rabbits :p Now just to get a huge freezer and to start building cages! hahah.

CrestedLove27
08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Kudos for picking the burms. :) I do love them and their personalities, but I don't think I'd ever get anything bigger than possibly a dumerils boa. Good luck on finding a het granite female. :D

I'm not a fan of rectics myself, they just have such a different personality. A friend of mine who worked with large snakes at a local zoo for years and felt confident in handling them was almost mauled to death by a nasty-tempered full grown retic, and he's a pretty strong guy. He once loved them and now you can't bring them up in conversation without him flinching.

He was going to feed it, and it was hanging out on the top of the enclosure and struck down at him when he walked through the door. It took a few men to pull it off him because it was wrapped around his neck and upper arms so tightly. He also ended up getting a lot of stitches from the bites. Scary stuff.

Wil19b85
08-11-2007, 03:30 PM
Awesome! Hope you enjoy them!

bleeding_sarcasm
08-11-2007, 04:34 PM
Yea, you have to respect that anything over 6' can possibly kill you. I have been wrapped by one of my dums before, and it wasnt that bad, but there werent multiple bites either.

IndyCrestie
08-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Yikes - too big for my taste! LOL

My RTB will be more than enough for me to handle. :D What kind of enclosure is standard/ideal for a pair of adult burms?

DDReptiles
08-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Yeah I work with large retics and burms at work, they can be a handful, just trying to keep them in the cage is hard, I mean when a 300lbs snake wants to go somewhere its hard stopping him LOL :)

Awesome Burm though, and they really are great snakes :D